Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: S&W Model 19 Classic - Mrgunsngear Channel

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    As long as were sharing photos I’ll throw one up of my 19–3 six inch nickel. It’s my first and only completed gunbroker purchase. I couldn’t be happier with it and it makes a great companion to my 4 inch 19-3 blued.
    As far as the new production guns go, there’s no reason to think it won’t be a great revolver. If nothing used is coming your way I would definitely go with it.

I have the exact one, lighter grips. My first centerfire pistol. Got it back in 76, still a teenager, dad had to sign. The best from the factory trigger of any pistol I've ever handled.

Loaded up some wadcutters a little while back. Lookin forward to gettin her out.

I must say you've got a beautiful revolver there!
    Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

(Cumberland County)

Here's my 1981 Ruger Security Six .357 2 3/4" with custom Pachmayrs.

Kobsw

Niiiiiiice!

You ever handle or shoot that thing, I can see my reflection in it.

(Likewise with your 19-3)

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Here's my 19-3. Story goes that a previous owner kept it in his basement where it developed rust. He took it to a gunsmith to clean it up, and the immediately put it back in the basement. Gunsmith ended up with it, then sold it to me for peanuts. If it had a 4" or 6" barrel on it I'd be very inclined to ship it back to Smith to get it restored.

I like it! Not a damn thing wrong with a piece that looks used hard. I say leave it.

If you did want to rehab it, have you considered trying 4/0 steel wool with some oil?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1919 View Post
    I have the exact one, lighter grips. My first centerfire pistol. Got it back in 76, still a teenager, dad had to sign. The best from the factory trigger of any pistol I've ever handled.

Loaded up some wadcutters a little while back. Lookin forward to gettin her out.

I must say you've got a beautiful revolver there!
    Thank you, this revolver has a fantastic trigger as well. It is my only gun with a partridge style front sight and I must say I love it. Before this I was all about the ramp style with red insert. I’ve been swayed, now if there’s a ramp I actually prefer all black. The 19’s are great revolvers but I must admit after every range trip I nervously inspect the thin part of the forcing cone. . Maybe I’ve read too much, maybe not.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Clearfield County)

I like it! Not a damn thing wrong with a piece that looks used hard. I say leave it.

If you did want to rehab it, have you considered trying 4/0 steel wool with some oil?
    Its worse on the other side, pretty sure its through the nickle at this point.

(Delaware County)

Here's my 1981 Ruger Security Six .357 2 3/4" with custom Pachmayrs.

Kobsw

Niiiiiiice!

You ever handle or shoot that thing, I can see my reflection in it.

(Likewise with your 19-3)
    Fritz, thx and all my guns are shooters, however, they are well cared for and handled carefully.

Kobsw

I got a nice new 19-9 a few months ago. My first revolver. Put a set of Meprolightolight tritiums on it. Bluing is gorgeous but I can't compare it to an older one as I haven't seen one in person that had enough perfect intact bluing for a fair comparison. The older grips definitely look nicer, just the shiny orange stain on them. These are more satin and the color doesn't quite pop. Overall though I'm extremely happy with it and the new updates don't bother me. Prefer the 2 piece barrel for the stronger forcing cone and the stronger lockup on the crane. The lock doesn't bother me. I never used it and don't plan on it. The darker blued finish makes the hole alot less noticeable than on the stainless guns. The trigger and hammer do have a color case hardened look to em, although it's just a chemical treatment so I doubt it looks as good as real CCH on the older parts. Still I wanted a new one that I could put MY scratches on and not worry about feeding it .357s. This and my Beretta 85 will never leave my possession as long as I'm alive enough to have possessions. Maybe I'll possess them afterwards too. Have a bit of fun with the next owner.

"Officer I swear I saw a shadowy figure advancing menacingly at me from inside the TV." As they stand there looking at the smoking .357 caliber hole in his flat-screen.

Its worse on the other side, pretty sure its through the nickle at this point.
    It's gotta be. Nickel don't rust (I would know, I named myself after it). That's the steel underneath.

Looking at a new Model 60 for a carry gun and a new Model 17 as a "why the hell not" gun. I do keep reading these Smiths tend to multiply once you get one.
    AK-47s for EVERYONE!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Yes it is! Though I do not know who the actual maker of this holster was. BTW The K-frame .357 Magnum was (according to legend) built by S&W on the recommendation of Bill Jordan.
    I think it was Elmer Keith, who also developed the 44 Mag.
    Last edited by DonBiase; March 6th, 2019 at 09:37 PM.
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

Quote Originally Posted by DonBiase View Post
    I think it was Elmer Keith, who also developed the 44 Mag.
    Keith was responsible for the .357, .44, and .41 magnum cartridges. Bill Jordan is credited for getting S&W to make a medium framed revolver chambered in the .357 magnum caliber for LE use.

(Chester County)

Since this thread has become somewhat of a show-and-tell, here's my 1970 vintage 19-3, that I bought in 1998 for $249.95 w/box, tools, papers and my 1980 vintage Security-six, that I bought this past Fall for $405, all in. This photo doesn't due justice to the depth of shine in the finish of the S&W. I bought the Ruger as a hunting sidearm as bear medicine, because the price of the 19-3 has skyrocketed lately.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast