Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Colt Python, who has one and what do you think?

Everything I read about this revolver makes it seem too good to be true. Excellent lock up, excellent action, most accurate handgun, can’t miss with it, the list goes on. I want to know from actual owners if it’s all true. I have only come across a few in person and never even asked to hold one since I wasn’t willing, at the time, to spend that kind of money. Now, as tastes change I’m seriously considering picking one up. I know I’m a little late because I clearly remember one sitting on the top shelf of my local shop for months priced at $999. It was a 4 inch blued version in 99% condition but at the time even that price tag seemed high.

Fricken Walking Dead! I don’t want to be Rick Grimes, I just want the revolver so many people seem to think is top tier. With the show seeming to lose popularity do you guys think the prices will drop, stay the same or continue to rise? If the latter is true I wouldn’t worry too much about the price tag if it could be resold easily. Ok with the show seeming to lose popularity do you guys think the prices will drop, stay the same or continue to rise? If the latter is likely I wouldn’t worry too much about the price tag as long as it holds value.

To be honest I met a gentleman from the forum recently who mentioned he had one that was going to sell. Although I’m not looking to buy one for at least six months this got my wheels spinning. This guy definitely knew his way around higher end firearms and told me there is nothing like shooting a Python. I guess the quick solution is to find a range that rents one and have a go.

In the meantime I will turn to the forum for advice like I have so many times before. Would love to know your thoughts about this gun, in particular how it holds up against 60s or 70s Smith and Wesson’s. Thanks in advance, Brian
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Colt Python, who has one and what do you think?

I don't own one, but I've shot a few over the years. Personally, I would not pay the 2-3k they are going for now unless it's for a collection. They're not worth that as a shooter. They are hand fitted and beautifully finished, but so are the Smith's you mentioned from that time frame. They're great revolvers and have nicely tuned actions, but for that kinda money you could get something custom made and tuned. If you want a great shooting revolver and have the coin look into a Korth or even the new Dan Wesson's made by CZ.

(Allegheny County)

I have one. Inherited from my father. still in the box so i can't say how it shoots, but it is pretty. amazing blueing. i can't imagine it is worth the ridiculous money they are going for.

(Carbon County)

a friend of mine has a Colt Anaconda brand new never fired only made between 1990-1999
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Westmoreland County)

I had two of them back in the 80's before things got stupid. A 4" and a 6". They are nice but not all that as far as I'm concerned. When I shot in police matches I used either my 4" S&W 581 or 6" S&W 586. I simply liked the action on the S&W's better. In all fairness I grew up on S&W's though. In short I never saw what all the hype was about.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

Owned two in the 80s,beautiful firearms too good to shoot they remained in the safe like precious jewels till value was ridiculously high and sold them both.Still had the trooper model in ex cond but sold that soon after for big $$$ >

(Perry County)

I've had a couple. One was a Ten Pointer specialty model with a scope. The other was a bright polish stainless. They're smooth and extremely well made. I think they'll continue to appreciate because they're all hand finished...and Colt collectors have deep pockets. What kills me are the prices of Anacondas. MIM parts all over the place and nothing special at all. With all of that said, Pythons are delicate. If you like blasting .357 all of the time, it's going to loosen up quickly. I intend to put one permanently in my collection when I find the one I want. Take it out sometimes and shoot .38s out of it. It's just one of those guns a collector should have in the collection.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Delaware County)

First, I'm an Old guy. I was in the business when wheel guns were the norm.
    Two of my favorite duty revolvers were a S&W Highway Patrolman and a Colt Python.
    Both were 6 inchers.
    The Python was a "V" spring model and had/has the Finest, Crisepst, action I've ever felt, bar None.
    No creep, no overtravel, it just "broke" clean.
    Double action pull was/is at 4 pounds.
    Single action, at 2 (two pounds).
    In my opinion, the Early Python is the standard against which ALL revolvers are to be judged.
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

(Delaware County)

Pay the money and buy your Colt. Shoot it for a lifetime and your estate will get the money you paid for it back. Maybe more than you paid.

Life is short. Don’t settle.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a ‘63 which is the last year (I think) all parts were hand fitted. I’ve hit bullseyes offhand at 100 yards but I rarely shoot it anymore because I bent the extractor trying to practice for fast reloads planning to shoot it in idpa that I never have time to go to lol. Now my options to have it fixed are limited and expensive.

I think colt maybrelease a new version but they’re king cobra was a pretty big let down without having adjustable sights. I don’t think they’ll ever be able to recreate the fabled tapered muzzle or the finish so I don’t think the originals will go down in price. I’d consider a new manufactured python in stainless if the price were right for a shooter and a carry piece.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast