Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Colt Python, who has one and what do you think?

Love my Python. Sweetest double action trigger in any revolver I've ever shot. Buttery smooth. Love the high polish on it too. Even love that the cylinder turns the other direction than all other revolvers - lol. Is it better than S&W? Not really, just different - I love my 66-2, 29-2 and 28-2 Smiths also. But that DA trigger - sweet Jesus, that is special.

I'm on my second Python. My first was in 1970 as a Reserve LEO in NJ. it was a 1966 4" blued Python( cost $225 ) I bought from a brother officer. It was love at first sight. But at 21 I really didn't appreciate how or why this revolver was so special. I gifted it to my God Nephew & regreted doing so. I waited until I found a similar Python in the same shape as my first one & bought it ( cost $2650 ). Almost 50 years later I've become a better trained shooter & when I went to our range last week my wife watched me shoot the tightest groups she's ever seen me shoot & commented that the tip of the barrel never moved each time I fired. I explained that most of this was due to the trigger, IMHO it is the finest out there plus the incredible balance the 4" has. My reason for buying this now was strictly emotional. If it gains in value that's cool too. If you can afford the cost of a decent made Python my advice is buy it, shoot it and enjoy the best revolver you'll ever have.

Uncle Jumbo,
    Try Gunsinternational or GunBroker. That's where I found my 4" 1978 Blued model. It was $2650.00 There were 1/2 dozen in the $2000 range as of last week.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; April 12th, 2019 at 04:21 PM.

I've always been a big S&W fan but my Python is the best handgun I've ever owned, bar none.

If I was going to be buried , my Python would be buried with me. It's the gun I wanted for the longest period of time before I bought one. Bought it from a Colt collector at a Valley Forge show , probably 25yrs ago , and when I got it home , I discovered it was made the same month/year I was born. Mint condition , original grips , but in a Colt pistol rug , no box. $550 and the dealer threw in a Colt belt buckle and Python pin. Shown with it's offspring , a 'Baby Snake' , a 4in .22 Diamondback.

P1010004_03.JPG
    Last edited by abner13; April 13th, 2019 at 11:11 AM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

I cleaned up a friends, late fathers Python. As I recall it was an early 69. The trigger was a smooth as butter and the bluing was in nice shape.

When the opportunity presents itself one will come home with me. No rush on this one however, its not in the top ten want list.

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    If I was going to be buried , my Python would be buried with me. It's the gun I wanted for the longest period of time before I bought one. Bought it from a Colt collector at a Valley Forge show , probably 25yrs ago , and when I got it home , I discovered it was made the same month/year I was born. Mint condition , original grips , but in a Colt pistol rug , no box. $550 and the dealer threw in a Colt belt pickle and Python pin. Shown with it's offspring , a 'Baby Snake' , a 4in .22 Diamondback.

P1010004_03.JPG

Those are two sweet looking guns. It figures at the VF show you would get a belt pickle and Python pin. The dealers will do anything to sell guns and pickles. Those ruthless pickle pushers will do anything to make a buck!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    I cleaned up a friends, late fathers Python. As I recall it was an early 69. The trigger was a smooth as butter and the bluing was in nice shape.

When the opportunity presents itself one will come home with me. No rush on this one however, its not in the top ten want list.

Those are two sweet looking guns. It figures at the VF show you would get a belt pickle and Python pin. The dealers will do anything to sell guns and pickles. Those ruthless pickle pushers will do anything to make a buck!
    DOH! Fixed it. Auto-correct screwed on too tight.

And , just to be fair , he handed me the buckle and pin after the deal was sealed.

BTW; When I bought that Python , he had a LNIB 6in .22 Diamondback for $500. I still wish I grabbed that one too. The 4in above cost me considerably more.

(Luzerne County)

I was a S&W fan until the day in the early 80's when I first held/shot a Python.
    When I 1st pulled the hammer back, I thought something was wrong - I never felt anything as smooth ... I was INSTANTLY hooked and didn't buy another Smith for 30+ years!
    If I recall correctly, my 1st Python (6" blue) cost me just north of $800 and it is absolutely the cheapest Python I own.
    I still have it and it has had a charmed life.

I quit buying Pythons when prices went silly (15-20 years).
    But, I noticed that prices on everything softened after the Presidential election, Pythons included, and have added multiple variations since.

Are Pythons worth the prices they are going for?
    That's a subjective question ... Are Mercedes worth what they cost??
    I know my answer to those questions ... but to each his own, I guess.

The guns I like most in my collection are all Diamondbacks ... maybe because they fit my hand better or the finish/engraving gets my attention more.

BUT as far as the action goes, Diamondbacks are NOT in the same league as a Python.
    I've yet to handle any other stock revolver which even comes close!

Quote Originally Posted by mokoitis View Post

Are Pythons worth the prices they are going for?
    That's a subjective question ... Are Mercedes worth what they cost??
    I know my answer to those questions ... but to each his own, I guess.

The guns I like most in my collection are all Diamondbacks ... maybe because they fit my hand better or the finish/engraving gets my attention more.

BUT as far as the action goes, Diamondbacks are NOT in the same league as a Python.
    I've yet to handle any other stock revolver which even comes close!
    Of course not.
    Legend has it that every Python had a few extra hours of hand action tuning by a small group of master gunsmiths before they left the Colt factory. Word is also that the Colt Officers Model Match went thru the same dept. I have an OMM from '56 that is nearly as smooth as my Python.

My D'back is nowhere near as smooth , yet.

iframes.JPG
    Last edited by abner13; April 14th, 2019 at 01:36 AM.

I love my Pythons! Worth the money...yes!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123