Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Colt Python, who has one and what do you think?

Thanks for the great input. I was able to confirm that a local range has a six inch model available to rent. I’ll definitely take advantage of that while keeping an open mind regarding its condition as a rental piece.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Northampton County)

I bought a 4" blue Python brand new around 1977 for $359.00. Sold it around 2004. It had the smoothest action of any handgun I ever shot. I wish I never sold it. Life is short and you only get one lap around the track, if you get the opportunity to buy one I don't think that you will regret it.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Erie County)

I've held both the python and anaconda. Beautiful firearms, but at $2000 for a good one I'd rather go for a ruger gp100 either hogue grips.

(Montgomery County)

While overshadowed by the python, the Colt diamondback is another fine revolver. I've handled one and the finish and smooth operation is just like everyone describes for the python. Great trigger.

Perhaps you could acquire one at a cheaper price and still have your Colt snake desire satisfied (haha).

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyTick View Post
    I've held both the python and anaconda. Beautiful firearms, but at $2000 for a good one I'd rather go for a ruger gp100 either hogue grips.
    Please tell me where you can get a good one for $2000. I will buy them all day at that price.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Philadelphia County)

I wish Colt's current revolver offerings were as well-finished as the Python of yore. The new Cobra seems more like a current Charter Arms revolver than the beautiful Colts of the past.

(Blair County)

Back in the eighties I had a 6 inch Python, then later a 4" King Cobra. Both amazing guns to shoot and too look at . The deepest blueing Ive ever seen. They almost looked wet. Both extremely accurate with the best trigger I ever felt. Kills me to think I sold them both for 600$ in 1992. Comparing a Smith to a Colt is like comparing a Smith to a Ruger. Pure craftsmanship, Just the sound of pulling the hammer back sounded of quality. If I had the money I would pay for a King Cobra again, actually liked it better then the Python even though it was cheaper then and now. Considering they will never be built again and the people who knew how to make and fit them are dead they are worth the premium.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    I wish Colt's current revolver offerings were as well-finished as the Python of yore. The new Cobra seems more like a current Charter Arms revolver than the beautiful Colts of the past.
    L.O.L. You haven’t seen the mirror polished version or the talo version. The new 357 looks even better. The action on mine is so smooth it took me aback the first time I pulled it. Yes the blasted finish on the first version it odd at first, but it’s ment to carry and keep the price down. I have high hope for a new python. Adjustable sights are on the way.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

I believe that if Uberti secures the rights, we will see another "faux" PYTHON.
    I am happy to say that I bought and kept my 8in. Nickeled snake gun , in primo shape. (Made in 1981... pre-stike) # K 676XX

A trigger job, made the trigger pull & action , even more smooth. .. Lightened but utterly reliable, Won some competitions with it too.
    If I had to do it over again, I would have bought 2 of them, at $480 apiece.

Here … Hold my drink; and watch this.

(Delaware County)

Looking at the receipt for my Python.
    Purchased 08-20-1969, almost 50 years ago, at Colosimo's on Spring Garden St. Philadelphia.
    $154.00 and $9.40 sales tax.

P.S. the S&W 29, Highway Patrolman, 6 1/2 nickel, 07-26-1972 ( before the Dirty Harry movies)
    $167.03 and $10.08 tax.
    "He who is Brave, is Free" Seneca
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast