Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SCCY CPX 380

Smile SCCY CPX 380

Yeah I already expect the negative comments But the wife has an interest in this model,reasons for her slide is easier to retract,recoil is less,grip is slighlty reduced to smallish hands.I will give this one some serious thought,she passed on the S&W EZ 380 felt it was bigger than she expected but the recoil was pleasant for her .

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: SCCY CPX 380

I have told the story of my Skyy (I bought it when they were new, and still named that) on here in the past. Originally I thought they were just shitty quality guns and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. However I have finally gotten it to run reliably, and after a trip to the range a couple weeks ago I changed my mind. Now I just think they are shit period. The trigger pull is awful and unpredictable. Do not buy a sccy, especially for someone who isn't a regular shooter, they will not be accurate with it.

(Washington County)

I remember this one time I went to range with a few friends. The one guy brought his wife. She pulled out a sccy. First time shooting it. It didnt make it through the first magazine before the slide broke off the frame and jammed a round into the chamber. Couldn't get the slide to move to free the round.

We ended up getting the RSO to take the gun, he dissembled it and got the round out.

They never shot the gun again. Even after getting it fixed.

(Lycoming County)

I've known 3 people who bought them. 2 of the 3 had to send them back after the first range trip. In my experience, they make Taurus's QC look like Wilson Combat.

(Montgomery County)

Hey have you had her check out the Sig P365 with the HST micro or sig p365 brand ammo?

It's a 9mm with 10+1 or 12+1 mag capacity. Smaller overall than a g43 but able to get more of your hand on the grip. They also come factory with tritium night sights, and it's supposed to have an easier to rack slide than the S&W shield EZ380 with similar recoil in 9mm to a 380. Supposed to have much less recoil than your average 9mm micro, especially with the micro specific ammo.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post

It's a 9mm with 10+1 or 12+1 mag capacity. Smaller overall than a g43 but able to get more of your hand on the grip. They also come factory with tritium night sights, and it's supposed to have an easier to rack slide than the S&W shield EZ380 with similar recoil in 9mm to a 380. Supposed to have much less recoil than your average 9mm micro, especially with the micro specific ammo.
    Just yesterday my oldest daughter told me she bought the series 1 SCCY in 9mm. That has the manual safety on it. Series 2 and 3 don't. I checked the net and saw many complaints about the safety engages itself while shooting and I reported back to her.
    She said she put 50 rounds through it right after she got it with no issues. Dunno, I told her to put at least 300 down the pipe before trusting it.

It seems many have problems, but not all. She had always qualified with a Glock at the last job but wanted something smaller to carry concealed now. We will see if it holds up.

I bought one to keep as a truck gun (9mm). It doesn't have a safety .I have put between 350-400 rounds through the gun with zero Problems that is with buying cheap used magazines from cdnn. I dont like the feel of the gun for a edc but for the money I did not think it was bad.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Just yesterday my oldest daughter told me she bought the series 1 SCCY in 9mm. That has the manual safety on it. Series 2 and 3 don't. I checked the net and saw many complaints about the safety engages itself while shooting and I reported back to her.
    She said she put 50 rounds through it right after she got it with no issues. Dunno, I told her to put at least 300 down the pipe before trusting it.

It seems many have problems, but not all. She had always qualified with a Glock at the last job but wanted something smaller to carry concealed now. We will see if it holds up.
    I've thought about one in 9mm for myself for CC. Its just bigger than I personally want, I'm looking for more pocket carry capable tho and came across this Sig I mentioned. Figured I'd throw it out there since I remembered this thread and the slide pull issues for MDTs wife

(Cumberland County)

I bought an original CPX and have never had an issue with it. The only thing I did not like was the safety, it would engage easily when firing. One day I decided to send it back - quality of service and speed was second to none! Because so many upgrades had happened to the gun since the first model I bought - they upgraded everything ( new slide, they said they thought specs were "off" a bit, put in the safety eliminator I asked for, put in new mag release upgrade, upgraded the trigger, and a few other things I can't remember at this point! All free, even the eliminator I asked for. All this and one week total from ship to received back !!! I can't say anything bad about SCCY.
    Last edited by cruzans; February 24th, 2019 at 12:54 PM.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

I have a SCCY CPX-2 and had an issue within 200 rounds with it not going into battery. Sent back for repairs and have shot over 200 more rounds over the course of four years. The big issue with this pistol is the trigger. In a word...........SUCKS. I have never had a longer creepy, unpredictable trigger pull in any gun owned or shared than what SCCY put in these handguns. Wouldn't trust as my primary or backup gun. I don't even know why I still have it. Oh wait. I know. Because they aren't worth the trouble to sell them for half of what was put into the original purchase!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!