Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Do we *do* anything here? Or just talk?

This thread reminds me of a story.

Once upon a time there were two bulls, one young, one old, standing on a hill.
    Below them was a field full of cows.
    The young bull says to the old bull, "Let's run down there and screw one of them!"
    The old bull looks at the younger bull and says, "Let's walk down and screw all of them."
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy View Post
    Does pafoa have any presence in the state government as a "special interest group" or "lobbying agency?" It seems like the perfect candidate as a donor funded local organization. What's the structure? Is there a directorship? Is there any way to put my money into poofa and contribute to legislative influence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Not that I'm aware of, we channel our efforts through GOA, NRA, FOAC, et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    PAFOA is chartered and incorporated as a nonprofit organization. Which legally isn't allowed to be directly involved in politics, nor donate to certain causes.

PAFOA is allowed to be a meeting place for like-minded folk to educate others, and for them to work out grassroots type activities.
    Our local sportsman club changed their non profit status a while back so they could do more politically, but it's still limited.

Anyway..back to the OP.....

There's a lot we can be doing. But we probably don't need another organization in need of donations for support to act on our behalf. Spreading the little bit that people donate to many organizations limits what they can do. Centralizing the cash to one org, I think, would be better.

There are established orgs (GOA is my preference) who might be open to have a PA "director", such as Rachel Malone who is the TX Director for the GOA.

https://gunowners.org/about-goa/

Maybe I'll look into getting this jump started. I can't travel the state whenever I want but I can email and call as needed. If the people who are really motivated take the initiative and focus on one productive mission, maybe we can have a louder, more unified voice. Justinhemi and the recent Pittsburgh Rally are good examples.

GOA, Oathkeepers-PA, NRA, FOAC, PA Federation of Sportsman, are just a few of the larger ones with some having a presence in Harrisburg.

(Montgomery County)

Does pafoa have any presence in the state government as a "special interest group" or "lobbying agency?" It seems like the perfect candidate as a donor funded local organization. What's the structure? Is there a directorship? Is there any way to put my money into poofa and contribute to legislative influence?
    Welcome to the PAFOA Handy.
    I read the entire thread and I have a few things to mention.

Being polite goes a long way to gaining cooperation and getting things done.
    I recognize your concern for the 2A and your sense of immediacy, but people generally don't respond well to being yelled at.
    So if you're sincere, and that has yet to be established, then take a polite tone and jump in to help us get things done.

As was already said, PAFOA has to remain a meeting place and cannot act as a political entity in its current form.
    We are free to organize and create offshoots and do whatever, as long as PAFOA itself remains legally detached.

There are many guys and gals here doing stuff to protect the 2A.
    JustinH just got done organizing an effective 2A demonstration with lots of PAFOA attendees, and I he plans to do more.

There is a big Harrisburg 2A rally once a year that many PAFOA people are involved with and many attend.
    The FOAC has people here and they let us know what they are doing and if they want help with their efforts.

There is a lot of 2A political stuff posted on the board whenever something is going on and 2A political action is needed.
    There are often posts for people to call, email, and write their Representatives to bring pressure on current 2A issues.

Political alerts from the FOAC, NRA, and GOA are usually posted here.
    We encourage all gun owners to join these 2A groups to remain informed and to be able to act on current 2A issues.
    We also encourage gun owners to join the many other 2A groups that are worth supporting.

The easiest way to keep up with the PAFOA threads is to click on 'Quick Links' and then click on 'Today's Posts' in the drop down menu.
    Be sure to subscribe to any threads that you want to receive updates for in your dashboard, and you can also have subscribed threads emailed to you.

We are all volunteers with no central paid 2A political lobbyist to tie us together and encourage consistency.
    We are a true grassroots organization in that regard.

I happen to agree with you that we need a paid Harrisburg 2A lobbyist to bring more consistency and effectiveness to our statewide 2A political efforts.
    This has been discussed and there are several PAFOA members that agree on this.

Generally speaking, PAFOA members have a healthy skepticism and are not eager to throw money at something without reasonable demonstration of its worth.
    This idea of a centralized paid 2A Harrisburg lobbyist is still in the early stages and has yet to prove itself to the PAFOA community.

I am in the process of organizing PAFOA volunteers to share a rotating 2A presence in Harrisburg throughout the annual 60 day legislative session.
    If you would like to lend your energy to that effort we would be happy to have you join us.

I was down on a medical that is just about resolved, and the PAFOA volunteer 2A presence in Harrisburg is about to get started in earnest.
    If we are able to demonstrate our worth, then it is very possible that this will lead to a PAFOA member supported professional 2A lobbyist in Harrisburg.
    Again, you are more than welcome to donate money to help make that happen.

You are welcome to send me a message anytime here: http://forum.pafoa.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=30334
    You can also start a thread anytime to present a plan to protect the 2A and to ask people to join you.

If you haven't already, please register to vote, and please vote in every election every year.
    2A voter guides are posted in PAFOA before every election.

Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Wayne County)

I'm too busy not reloading to do much else...
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
    I'm too busy not reloading to do much else...
    We really should get together and not reload sometime.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Welcome to the team.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lancaster County)

Justin ordering hats.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Anything less than 17K.
    That's considered abuse..

(Montgomery County)

Justin ordering hats.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Not that I'm aware of, we channel our efforts through GOA, NRA, FOAC, et al.
    Justin ordering hats.

I want my damn hat.

All those freaking posts for a hat and the noob thinks we will gel in to a unified force for 2A rights in a heartbeat. We all have dreams.

And I dream of my fucking hat.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast