Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Anyone have experience with Magnetospeed or someting similar?

I currently have a Shooting Chrony F1 Master. Because of my work and busy family life, my time at the range is usually limited. In order for me to use my F1, I need to set up and measure the tripod with chronometer during a cold range while everyone is waiting. Without fail, after the range goes hot, I need to tweak the tripod again b/c either the chrony isn't registering properly or I set up the angle hastily and it is uncomfortable to sit and shoot. I then need to call a cold range to take it all down afterwards. Combine that with the gazillion questions you get, and I find my shooting window is closed and I don't get much time behind the stock. Sometimes it doesn't register every shot and I don't get the data I set out for. It's not like I have unlimited time to reload either, so when I get incomplete data I feel like I totally wasted my time.

I realize these issues are my fault, but I was wondering if these magneto chronometers are any good and if they are, would they alleviate some of the concerns I have listed above? My impression is they would be a huge time saver for me allowing me to spend more time shooting. Does anyone have one, and can you comment? I would mount it to an m1a and rem 700. Any concern mounting behind the front sight base on the M1A? -- Thx

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Anyone have experience with Magnetospeed or someting similar?

This same story is repeated often across many forums. There are 2 choices for resolving your issues. A Magnetospeed or a Labradar.

The Magnetospeed(s) attach to a firearm's barrel and setup when the range is hot. They work in any weather, any temperature, any lighting condition. Properly attached, they are more consistent and believed to be more accurate than most folks experience with optical chronos. The negatives for MagnetoSpeed(s) are (a) they must attach to your firearm's barrel, and (b) because they are attached you must assume they will change the POI. This makes them undesirable for direct use during load development. Most will develop loads measuring MVs with additional cartridges.

The Labradar, a radar unit, is more expensive, sets up when the range is hot (or cold depending on your range rules). They are easy to use off the bench and can be used while shooting in other positions with an appropriate tripod. They work in any weather, any temperature, any lighting condition. They do not attach to firearms in any way, so they do not affect the POI. In fact you can chrono all of your shots should you wish. That helps establish a true SD over a large number of measurements, and can at times help determining issues with flyers. They are accurate and repeatable. They are not useful for shotgun loads.

I've owned and used optical (CED M2), MagnetoSpeed (V1), and Labradar, and now use only the Labradar every shooting day.

(Bucks County)

More on attaching a MagnetoSpeed to your barrels:

When mounted to a barrel other than a bull barrel, the POI will undoubtedly change. POI is also likely to change when on a bull barrel.

The direction and magnitude of the POI shift will change depending on how tight the strap is and where the bayonet (normally at 6 o'clock) is. Some folks have run tests that seem to indicate that POI deflection is away from the bayonet. IOW, if at 5 o'clock, deflection is toward 11 o'clock. My personal experience does not directly confirm that.

Some folks report no change in group size with the bayo attached. However, given the above, should the bayo's position shift or the strap loosen during a group . . . the POI shift will change . . .and so the group size and shape is likely to change.

So the MagnetoSpeed is fine for measuring the MV of rounds not directly used in load development or for score . . . if it can attach to your barrel.

I don't know if it can successfully mount to an M1A behind the front sight, but a call to MagnetoSpeed can probably give you a good answer . . . or how to measure to find out.

Hope this helps.

(Wyoming County)

Damn. Twoboxer pretty much nailed it all.
    I have a magnetospeed sporter and a labradar. I will say that the labradar has been a bit more challenging to capture the shot for me. You have to have patience using it. I'm sure I'll get it with more practice. But the plus it has over the magnetospeed is use for everything.
    Magnetospeed (sporter) I'm limited to certain rifles. In my opinion the labradar is worth the extra cost.

(Wyoming County)

Fyi Magnetospeed Sporter is just a basic setup with limited mounting options and I think retails ~$150-175. The higher end model is ~$350-375 (I think).

Got my Labradar at Brownells for $450 & lifetime warranty

(Northampton County)

Thanks to you both. I really like the labradar. If you are at the range with other shooters, does the labradar pick up their shots too?

(Wyoming County)

I just got mine via me for Christmas

That being said I don't have much experience behind it yet. They have numerous YouTube tutorials for it and others have also made "How to videos" as well.

If you are shooting within close enough proximity to another shooter I suppose it is possible that it may trigger and pick up another bullet, but I have to believe that is the exception rather than the rule. The problem I'm having right now is getting it to trigger and then getting it aimed to track the flight to target. You have to have the muzzle in the correct window for it to detect the muzzle blast. I think there are settings to change that window for ~18 inches or 6 inches. Basically tuning it to eliminate other shooters.

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Wyoming County)

Here's another video a guy did comparing the 2.

I know I watched it but I don't remember the conclusion and right now my internet has gone to shit and I can't get the video to play. (I guess I'm lucky just to get this forum to load)

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    Thanks to you both. I really like the labradar. If you are at the range with other shooters, does the labradar pick up their shots too?
    Exflyingguy got it right, but I want to make a certain distinction clear.

The Labradar may pick up the firing of a nearby rifle. This can be controlled by decreasing its sensitivity (a menu option) and/or moving the muzzle/barrel closer to the unit then telling Labradar you did that (a menu option). While it may react to a nearby shot, it will tell you it did not track the bullet. In this case nothing is recorded but you have to "clear" the unit for your next shot (see manual).

Only once have I ever had the Labradar claim to have picked up another's shot. It was in an indoor, 20 yd range and I'm convinced my neighbor fired across my range. An impossible MV was recorded and in this case data was recorded and required deletion (menu option).

But FWIW it's important to know that I've not encountered a situation where adjusting the sensitivity did not cure the issue. Uses range from 5-bay indoor pistol to 10-bench rifle range (from a 3-sided house with lousy acoustics) to shooting steel uncovered from 100 to 1200 yds.

Worth noting: there is now a blue tooth app (free) that allows you to control the Labradar from your phone. This can help whether shooting prone or from a bench since using the Labradar's menus often requires you to move from a shooting position.

(Bucks County)

If you’re ever in the New Hope ballpark I’d be happy to let you try mine out....although personally I’m a fixed wing guy when I leave the ground

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast