Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Benchmade Knife Co Screws Pooch; Interesting Political Donations...;

It is apparent that the folks at Benchmade are completely tone deaf and don't appear to have a very good grasp on the similarities between the regulation of firearms and the regulation of cutlery in many municipalities. If Benchmade is willing to assist in the destruction of perfectly servicable firearms (that could easily be sold to law-abiding folks at a net profit to the community) the logical reason is because they also feel that firearms are "bad" and should be destroyed. It certainly conveys that message. However, Benchmade is apparently too clueless to see that their own products are viewed in exactly the same manner in many municipalities. Hell, in the UK a steak knife is viewed to be just as bad as an AK. The right of free, law-abiding folks to carry a firearm is the same as the right of free, law-abiding folks to carry a knife provided that both are possessed for lawful purpose.

The willful destruction of firearms with the same tooling used to manufacture knives is one of the most hypocritical actions that I can imagine. If the folks at Benchmade don't understand this then I'm sure that there are other knife manufacturers out there who do who will, subsequently, get my patronage. However, if it is proven to be true that Benchmade did in fact perform this act, that is sufficient to tell me that they have no understanding about the laws surrounding the use and possession of the knives that they make. I hope that they are happy limiting their market to only the military and police, because this civilian will not be purchasing their knives.

I can almost forgive the contributions to certain candidates as the cost of doing business in an area. But the willful destruction of firearms just shows how completely tone deaf they are. I don't fault them for wanting to help the local PD, but if my local PD.came to my business to use my furnace to burn books for some reason my answer would be "Sorry, guys. I'd love to help you out, but I don't believe in burning books because of the historical significance and the message that it conveys". Helping to destroy guns is no different, especially in light of their own product.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Default Re: Benchmade Knife Co Screws Pooch; Interesting Political Donations...;

I have one bench made. It will be the last. As for scraping police guns I wont blame BM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy19608 View Post
    You don't need "tooling" to destroy a firearm, you need a grinder, maybe a cutting wheel. .
    True, but you cannot have a PD using cops to operate that tool. First, you would have to train them to use it safely. Of course, if you give training to one, you hav3 to train all or else the6 file discrimination suits.
    Second, after you train all of them, you can bet money one or more will get a splinter and go out on long term disability. At least one of them will get a career-ending splinter, probably in his trigger finger, and need life-long support and therapy, and a hover-round scooter, and a motorhome to haul it around with.

A BM Griptillian was my first modern folder many years ago. I still have it & I've added a few more Benchmade's over the years. All are great knives, but they'll never get another penny from me. Just like Springfield Armory. I don't have any hard figures, but I'd guess that 75% of Benchmade owners are also gun owners or 2nd Amendment supporters.

Instead of posting self satisfying pics on Facebook of sparks flying off these guns as BM employees cut them up, these confiscated/buy back guns could more easily & more quickly have been destroyed quietly by taking them to a salvage yard & using a hydraulic press to bend them into unusable pretzels. Instead BM chose to participate in a liberal media circus.

BM can do all the damage control they like, but we still get to choose where we spend our money.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lancaster County)

The whole concept doesn't make sense if anything why not turn the guns over to an FFL to sell and use that money for local programs instead. It's a cluster for them they are gonna feel it just a little.

(McKean County)

I wonder how many happy Benchmade faces we would see if they had to grind up a few confiscated Benchmade knives...
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    The whole concept doesn't make sense if anything why not turn the guns over to an FFL to sell and use that money for local programs instead. It's a cluster for them they are gonna feel it just a little.
    Benchmade doesn't decide that, that's up to the police and the courts to determine what happens to a firearm they have in custody. However Benchmark could have refused to do this task. The police did a lot of damage thanking them on social media that not only enraged gun owners, but it also led to the discovery of their donations to the anti gun politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    True, but you cannot have a PD using cops to operate that tool. First, you would have to train them to use it safely. Of course, if you give training to one, you hav3 to train all or else the6 file discrimination suits.
    Second, after you train all of them, you can bet money one or more will get a splinter and go out on long term disability. At least one of them will get a career-ending splinter, probably in his trigger finger, and need life-long support and therapy, and a hover-round scooter, and a motorhome to haul it around with.
    Have their armorer cut the guns. The only guns police should destroy are ones with defaced serial numbers or those that are in violation of the nfa. I had a shotgun stolen but they dropped it in my yard and the police recovered it and held as evidence until they felt like destroying it. There was no reason they couldnt have pulled prints off it and returned it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Benchmade doesn't decide that, that's up to the police and the courts to determine what happens to a firearm they have in custody. However Benchmark could have refused to do this task. The police did a lot of damage thanking them on social media that not only enraged gun owners, but it also led to the discovery of their donations to the anti gun politicians.
    I agree but my point being that the police had other options instead of destroying the firearms which could have benefited the community. They (Oregon PD) said they are not in the business of selling guns, I agree but there's no reason for them to destroy them when instead they could use the income through another means to improve the community. I don;t see them scrapping vehicles used in drive by's or burning drug houses that have been seized down. They are willing to let those go to auctions so I say why not the guns?

(Armstrong County)

A friend and member here had a few guns stolen. One was recovered after a murder/suicide. The serial number on the S&W Shield had a small scuff in the bluing, along with the entire side of the lower, over the number plate, and up onto the slide. Probably when the dude splattered his own pan and he dropped it.
    The PD would not release it, even though my buddy won his case to get his property back on a solved case, but PD said the serial number was "tampered with". It was obviously not, but rules are rules. He some how talked them into sending it to me for refinish and re-engrave the serial number right one the existing one. I ran the serial number over a small buffing wheel for about 20 seconds to clean off the old bluing and wiped it with cold blue. You could see the original scuff mark come up the lower, skip over the number plate, and continue up onto the slide.
    He had his gun back in a week.

USMC3531, your shotgun was stolen twice.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast