Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Denied firearm purchase - 302 at age 14

Hi all! Hope I am posting this in the right place. I found this site while trying to find info on getting 302s expunged and came across a few members whom have had to go through this process so I am hoping someone can shine some light on this for me.

I was denied tonight to purchase a gun and the only reason this could be is because my parents had me 302d when I was 14 because, to be frank, they lack proper parenting skills and mom knows how to play the victim card. Who will the cops believe? But I supposed that is beside the point since I am now apparently deemed unfit to own a firearm. I honestly had no idea that something that happened when I was a child would prevent me from exercising my 2nd amendment right but apparently that’s how things work. I am really upset about this, rightfully so, considering the age I was and the fact that I never was nor ever will be a harm to myself or others. I need to know how to get this expunged. I will do anything I need to do.

I would appreciate any insight from those with experience.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Denied firearm purchase - 302 at age 14

You are going to need to talk to a lawyer experienced in firearms law. One close to you would be best.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

You need to talk to a lawyer that specializes in gun law.
    You can send GunLawyer a message and ask him what your options are.
    Private Message: http://forum.pafoa.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=1125
    Email: gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Washington County)

Thank you! I am also now officially freaking out after reading I could be charged with a crime because I did not know I had a 302 on my record, therefore I put that I had never been involuntarily committed! Basically I was taken to the hospital and asked to sign myself in a few days later. I was so young I didn’t know what any of this meant and to be totally honest had no idea this would be on my record. I feel foolish now and am kind of scared. I never would have tried to lie on a background check because I know that you can’t. I just honestly didn’t even think about it until after the denial and racking my brain it dawned on me that maybe that was the reason.

(Venango County)

This brings up questions in my mind for the lawyers.

I thought a 302 was an involuntary commitment where a patient refuses care but a doctor determines it is necessary psychologically. A 14 year old is considered a minor in most legal cases. Is it also true in this case? If so, shouldn't a parent or guardian be able to commit their charges? Or is there some treatment loophole used to get the cost covered by medicaid or the hospital or grant / study? Finally, in that case it would not seem right that the minor should be saddled with a ban.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Berks County)

They can fill out the 302 paperwork on a voluntary and there is no penalty. This is why red flag laws are bull shit. Doctors aren’t god. Rights have to go through the court system to taken away and even that isn’t right. Keep them in jail until the debts are paid then Free them, like it used to be. Some just never get out because the debts are too high to pay. That’s where the death penalty came in, as more humane .
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    This brings up questions in my mind for the lawyers.

I thought a 302 was an involuntary commitment where a patient refuses care but a doctor determines it is necessary psychologically. A 14 year old is considered a minor in most legal cases. Is it also true in this case? If so, shouldn't a parent or guardian be able to commit their charges? Or is there some treatment loophole used to get the cost covered by medicaid or the hospital or grant / study? Finally, in that case it would not seem right that the minor should be saddled with a ban.
    Your government is not in the business of preserving personal liberty.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Mifflin County)

I think a warning page should be included as the first page on a 4473. A page that makes clear of the seriousness of lying or in this case not understanding a thing like a 302 as a minor after reading the Original post several times I believe Buglybug.

(Montgomery County)

Very sorry for your situation. As others have mentioned your best bet is to consult with a lawyer who specializes in firearms law.

(Berks County)

One thing I would do is file for your Criminal Record Access and Review from Harrisburg. You can find and download all the information you need online and mail it in. I forget what it costs. The bastards can deny you your right to purchase in 60 seconds but it will take them 6 months to send it to you in writing. I believe that that is the only way to know for sure what you are dealing with and with that a lawyer will know which direction to go.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast