Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Denied firearm purchase - 302 at age 14

Quote Originally Posted by Buglybug View Post
    Thank you! I am also now officially freaking out after reading I could be charged with a crime because I did not know I had a 302 on my record,
    You could be, but if the state police are nice enough, they wont charge you.
    The same thing happened to a friend of mine, he had 2 dui's in 7 years.
    The state police didn't charge him.

(Tioga County)

You need a lawyer as the State Police will probably track you down soon. They've charged several people in my county for the same "crime" and it carries up to a five year prison sentence.

I would not delay getting a knowledgeable lawyer.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    You need a lawyer as the State Police will probably track you down soon. They've charged several people in my county for the same "crime" and it carries up to a five year prison sentence.

I would not delay getting a knowledgeable lawyer.
    There have been several people in my county get charged as well in just the past several months. Our local newspaper make them news stories .

(Washington County)

Thanks everyone. I didn’t waste anytime reaching out to a few gun law lawyers in the area. I feel I need to be as proactive as possible. I appreciate all your replies and if anyone else has any input or even better, a similar experience I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Now all I can really do is sit and wait to find out if the police want to ruin my life by trying to stick me with my very first charges. And also try to track down any health records that still remain. This is such a bummer.

(York County)

Thanks everyone. I didn’t waste anytime reaching out to a few gun law lawyers in the area. I feel I need to be as proactive as possible. I appreciate all your replies and if anyone else has any input or even better, a similar experience I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Now all I can really do is sit and wait to find out if the police want to ruin my life by trying to stick me with my very first charges. And also try to track down any health records that still remain. This is such a bummer.
    It’s a good idea to try and recover as many old documents as you can. You might even get lucky and find a mistake. If nothing else’s you will save some legal fees in research costs. Read up on some other 302‘s items as well, you may garner a bit of knowledge and find some case law that could work to your advantage.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Bucks County)

Reading OPs comments, I do not see MENS REA (a ‘guilty mind’), and that is one of the things needed to prove a crime was committed. I think the OP would be ok eventually even if charged.
    I’m not a lawyer, and OP should definitely get one. I just think he needs assurance that while he COULD be in trouble, it isn’t likely that it will get beyond an honest interview by a cop. But, GET A LAWYER is the best course of action.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Reading OPs comments, I do not see MENS REA (a ‘guilty mind’), and that is one of the things needed to prove a crime was committed. I think the OP would be ok eventually even if charged.
    I’m not a lawyer, and OP should definitely get one. I just think he needs assurance that while he COULD be in trouble, it isn’t likely that it will get beyond an honest interview by a cop. But, GET A LAWYER is the best course of action.
    Never talk to the police. Lawyer up if there's an interview request.

(Susquehanna County)

OP is not even positive that is the reason for the rejection.. Isn't there a way for him to request exactly why he was rejected? I just forget how because I never needed to
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Fayette County)

Hi all! Hope I am posting this in the right place. I found this site while trying to find info on getting 302s expunged and came across a few members whom have had to go through this process so I am hoping someone can shine some light on this for me.

I was denied tonight to purchase a gun and the only reason this could be is because my parents had me 302d when I was 14 because, to be frank, they lack proper parenting skills and mom knows how to play the victim card. Who will the cops believe? But I supposed that is beside the point since I am now apparently deemed unfit to own a firearm. I honestly had no idea that something that happened when I was a child would prevent me from exercising my 2nd amendment right but apparently that’s how things work. I am really upset about this, rightfully so, considering the age I was and the fact that I never was nor ever will be a harm to myself or others. I need to know how to get this expunged. I will do anything I need to do.

I would appreciate any insight from those with experience.
    I actually was denied for the exact same reason on February 22nd..I spoke with an attorney today and found out im not allowed to go hunting anymore either with firearms..I'm not allowed to go shooting at the range anymore..I was 16 when my mother committed me for being a rebellious teenager and wanting to be with his gf and not home blah blah typical teenager..I was also warned about being arrested from an attorney today about checking no on the involuntary commuted part..its unbelievable..never been arrested or in trouble with the law..never been back to a nut ward which was a 72 hr evaluation and that was that..pay my taxes..go to work..support my family and have good credit..amazing..honest american isnt allowed to protect what's theirs..not to mention my fiance isnt allowed to have her gun now until we get a new safe that I dont have a key for which is another joy..its completely ridiculous..this is how you make honest people criminals by treating them like one

(Bucks County)

This 302 and similar problem has been around long enough that legislators should be aware of it and should have done something about it by now. The problem is, they obviously consider these situations as collateral damage, and brush it off as too bad, but ain't gonna do anything that looks pro-gun, and they ain't going to.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast