Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default If my AR pistol goes over 26in OAL, would I still be able to keep it loaded in my car

I bought an AR pistol to use as a backup backpack gun/truck gun. My current understanding is that if my AR pistol goes over 26in overall length, it is legally (even though I bought it as a pistol) is no longer a pistol and is instead a "firearm" (not a rifle, or pistol). Would this mean it wouldn't be covered under my concealed carry permit and couldn't be kept loaded in a backpack or in the trunk?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: If my AR pistol goes over 26in OAL, would I still be able to keep it loaded in my

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman1eanda View Post
    I bought an AR pistol to use as a backup backpack gun/truck gun. My current understanding is that if my AR pistol goes over 26in overall length, it is legally (even though I bought it as a pistol) is no longer a pistol and is instead a "firearm" (not a rifle, or pistol). Would this mean it wouldn't be covered under my concealed carry permit and couldn't be kept loaded in a backpack or in the trunk?
    IANAL, But it's a License To Carry a Firearm, not a concealed pistol permit..

If assume you'd be good to go, but you know the saying about assumptions.

Default Re: If my AR pistol goes over 26in OAL, would I still be able to keep it loaded in my

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Jefferson County)

It depends..

If the barrel is under 15", then yes. If over 15", no.

All guns under 26" OAL are "firearms" in PA, then other contributing factors kick in for handguns, rifles, and shotguns pertaining to their barrel length.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Just SBR it, do whatever you want with it and be done with it.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It depends..

All guns under 26" OAL are "firearms" in PA, then other contributing factors kick in for handguns, rifles, and shotguns pertaining to their barrel length.
    I know the courts may have ruled how they like ignoring all logic given in sentences, but the conjunction OR is used between the barrel length and overall length descriptions to determine or define the term "firearm". In logic an OR means either one or both conditions being met meets the definition. The conjunction AND requires both conditions to be met. If only one or none of the conditions are met, then it is not a firearm for AND. So if the barrel length is under x inches depending on type OR the overall length (independent of type) is less than 26", then it is a firearm.

Or am I missing something about how the commas are placed?
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Clinton County)

Which definition of firearm applies?
    Can it have a VFG >26"?
    How is OAL determined on this gun and that gun?
    How do you define shall not be questioned?

It all makes my head hurt. ):

Except that last part.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I know the courts may have ruled how they like ignoring all logic given in sentences, but the conjunction OR is used between the barrel length and overall length descriptions to determine or define the term "firearm". In logic an OR means either one or both conditions being met meets the definition. The conjunction AND requires both conditions to be met. If only one or none of the conditions are met, then it is not a firearm for AND. So if the barrel length is under x inches depending on type OR the overall length (independent of type) is less than 26", then it is a firearm.

Or am I missing something about how the commas are placed?
    Here it is broken down.

1. Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches
    2. any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches
    3. any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches
    4. any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches

So, if the AR pistol has an OAL over 26" and barrel over 15" - it isn't a "firearm". If either dimension is under the specified length, then it is a "firearm".

That is the same logic that the PSP used to determine that the Mossberg Shockwave and the similar Remington are "firearms".
    Last edited by knight0334; February 21st, 2019 at 04:53 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

And remember the OAL doesn't include the muzzle device if it's not pinned and welded or the brace. Only from the tips of the threads on the barrel to the back of the buffer tube.

This shit is so convoluted.

(Venango County)

Here it is broken down.

1. Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches
    2. any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches
    3. any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches
    4. any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches

So, if the AR pistol has an OAL over 26" and barrel over 15" - it isn't a "firearm". If either dimension is under the specified length, then it is a "firearm".

That is the same logic that the PSP used to determine that the Mossberg Shockwave and the similar Remington are "firearms".
    It depends..

Ok, I can see we are on the same page. The last sentence in your prior post (quoted just above) was confusing to me. It seemed the if-then construct implied an 'and' IMHO. Thanks for clarifying.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch