Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help

(Chester County)

Default help

Thanks for the info....one last question I'm hearing two different things. Do you aim with both eyes open or 1 shut

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: help

both eyes open

are you right or left eye dominant and right or left handed?

maybe you should edit your title for this thread to "need aiming help" or something more informative if you want help with this.

and who exactly are you thanking for what info? (one last question?) when thats the first post?

(Chester County)

Sorry I'm new to this... My right eye is the dominant eve. I shoot right handed

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by emtfire148186 View Post
    Sorry I'm new to this... My right eye is the dominant eve. I shoot right handed
    lol, its cool

since you are both R eye and handed (glad we didnt have to go over how to tell eye dominance or what that means) it is rather simple and easy for you.

shoot both eyes open, your strong (right) hand will line the front sight up with your right eye. Since you are R eye dom you will be focused straight down the slide/sights. so that if you close your L eye you sight picture wont change.

thats all.

I don't want to seem disagreeable, but I'm firmly of the belief that there is really no harm in shooting with one eye open if that's the way it works best for you. There are many schools of thought with this but I've found over the years that a lot of people just can't do the "both eyes open" thing... I am one of them (unless using a red dot).

(Chester County)

Ok thanks....what yards should I practice at

(Chester County)

Ok cool thanks...I have 3 weeks to practice for a course. They score and time it. I need all the help I can get...thanks

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    I for one cannot for the life of me aim with both eyes open. I have tried a thousand times, I thought maybe I was an idiot.

As for how far out you should try, I'd recommend 7yards(21 feet).
    I am a newb myself as a month ago so thats really the only advice I can give.
    That and ask questions like your doing, and listen. But remember advice is free and you get what you pay for, meaning some people will offer good advice and some may not.

For me leaning forward is something I'm working on, but it's more due to my physicial restraints than anything else.

Good Luck
    Free advice, FWIW to you, 7998.

Try shooting trap, or skeet, and practice keeping both eyes open. Practice really hard, and you will probably be able to transfer that skill over to pistol and rifle without too much difficulty..

It worked for me.

Flash

(Blair County)

Practice, practice, parctice!
    I still shoot most of the time with one eye closed. I have started practicing with both open. It took a while but I am starting to get the hang of it.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Not to hi-jack the post, but what is the advantage or purpose of keeping both eyes open?
    Some shooters feel that it helps with depth/motion issues.

In Bullseye shooting, where you and the target are standing still, usually at 25 yards, you can close one eye and focus cleanly on the front sight. And, hopefully, hit right where you want.

In the "shooting games", motion and indeterminate distances are the norm, so depth and motion perception are much more important, there.

Shooting Trap and skeet (with a shotgun) motion and distance ARE the issues, though many, from habit, still shoot that with one eye closed.

It's a personal thing for me: one for bullseye, because that's where the trifocal works at its best, though both open for other stuff because trifocals are not quick to focus on the front sight.

Flash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast