Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: HB 1845 Passed the House and Senate today.

Quote Originally Posted by pacrimescode5904 View Post
    It looks to me like the DCNR will NOT be allowed to enact any provisions limiting a persons rights to carry. It appears to me that this bill brings DCNR in line with the concept of preemption.

CONSTRUCTION.--NOTHING IN THIS SECTION SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO:

(1) PERMIT THE HUNTING OR HARVESTING OF ANY WILDLIFE WITH A FIREARM OR AMMUNITION NOT OTHERWISE PERMITTED BY 34
    PA.C.S. (RELATING TO GAME).

(2) AUTHORIZE ANY COMMONWEALTH AGENCY TO REGULATE THE
    POSSESSION OF FIREARMS IN ANY MANNER INCONSISTENT WITH THE
    PROVISIONS OF THIS TITLE.
    imho, the DCNR prohibiting open carry would not be inconsistent with the provisions of this title, though, as the title doesn't mention anything about open carry. i do hope i am wrong about all this.

I am a Ranger and I will not/have not been enforcing this regulation regardless of whatever the bug catchers (management) say. I will not violate a citizens constitutional rights (US Constitution).
    thank you. imho, individual law enforcement officers need to exercise this check much more often. there is a reason the executive branch is separate from the legislative...and, there is a reason why most individual government agents take an oath to support and defend the constitution, not their bosses.

imho, individual officers refusing to enforce unconstitutional laws is a very important--and, unfortunately, very underutilized--part of our system of checks and balances.

anyway, i will be quite interested to hear what the "bug catchers" (to use your rather hilarious term) tell you you are supposed to do about open carriers.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; October 15th, 2008 at 10:44 AM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacrimescode5904 View Post
    It looks to me like the DCNR will NOT be allowed to enact any provisions limiting a persons rights to carry. It appears to me that this bill brings DCNR in line with the concept of preemption.

CONSTRUCTION.--NOTHING IN THIS SECTION SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO:

(1) PERMIT THE HUNTING OR HARVESTING OF ANY WILDLIFE WITH A FIREARM OR AMMUNITION NOT OTHERWISE PERMITTED BY 34
    PA.C.S. (RELATING TO GAME).

(2) AUTHORIZE ANY COMMONWEALTH AGENCY TO REGULATE THE
    POSSESSION OF FIREARMS IN ANY MANNER INCONSISTENT WITH THE
    PROVISIONS OF THIS TITLE.

I am a Ranger and I will not/have not been enforcing this regulation regardless of whatever the bug catchers (management) say. I will not violate a citizens constitutional rights (US Constitution).

Just my .02
    Paragraph #2 has been stricken from the bill as passed, and thus will not become law.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

just got this:

Thank you for contacting me to relate your support for House Bill 1845, which would provide for changes to the uniform firearms act.
    I appreciate your interest in this issue, and I understand your desire to see that this legislation is enacted. As you are likely aware, House Bill 1845 has passed both the House and the Senate and will now be presented to the Governor for his consideration. This bill makes several important changes to our law, but three provisions to the bill increase the rights of the owners of firearms. The first provision would prohibit the seizure of firearms or the accessories of firearms during times of emergency, unless such a seizure was to be lawful in the absence of the emergency. A second would eliminate the prohibition on the appropriate permit holders from carrying a concealed weapon in state parks. The final condition would allow for the issue of emergency concealed carry permits.
    These three additions to the bill would significantly affect the circumstances in which owners are able to carry and maintain possession of their firearms. Certainly, this legislation is important to many gun owners in the Commonwealth. I am pleased that this legislation was considered and I am confident that it will have a positive impact on the Commonwealth.

Again, thank you for contacting me about this matter. Please feel free to contact me if I can assist you in any way.
    Sincerely yours,
    Senator Jay Costa, Jr.43rd District
    JC/ jlg

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    just got this:
    I had also received the same email.

When does fast eddy have to sign off of it by?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Just got a real response(1st one)

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting me to relate your support for House Bill 1845, which would provide for changes to the uniform firearms act. I appreciate your interest in this issue, and I understand your desire to see that this legislation is enacted.

As you are likely aware, House Bill 1845 has passed both the House and the Senate and will now be presented to the Governor for his consideration. This bill makes several important changes to our law, but three provisions to the bill increase the rights of the owners of firearms. The first provision would prohibit the seizure of firearms or the accessories of firearms during times of emergency, unless such a seizure was to be lawful in the absence of the emergency. A second would eliminate the prohibition on the appropriate permit holders from carrying a concealed weapon in state parks. The final condition would allow for the issue of emergency concealed carry permits. These three additions to the bill would significantly affect the circumstances in which owners are able to carry and maintain possession of their firearms. Certainly, this legislation is important to many gun owners in the Commonwealth. I am pleased that this legislation was considered and I am confident that it will have a positive impact on the Commonwealth.

Again, thank you for contacting me about this matter. Please feel free to contact me if I can assist you in any way.

Sincerely yours,
    Senator Jay Costa, Jr.
    43rd District
    JC/ jlg

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Paragraph #2 has been stricken from the bill as passed, and thus will not become law.
    ...wasn't that the major reason we were pushing for this bill?

What else does this bill change that is particularly pro-gun?
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post

From Snowflakes in Hell:

* Sheriffs will have to issue emergency LTCFs for qualified applicants.
    * Carry completely lawful in state parks
    * No Katrina like gun confiscations in Pennsylvania.

Item #2 applies to 'licensees', and there is still some internal debate about how this applies to OC - whether licensed or not.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    that particular wording was not included in the bill, but the bill still does specifically allow for CCing (at least) in state parks by LTCF holders.

it's just that the wording that was included in the final bill was less broad.

1. it does still prohibit the DCNR from banning CC in state parks.

2. it prohibits katrina-style gun confiscations during officially declared "emergencies"

3. it provides for temporary, emergency LTCFs

4. it extends the valid period of an LTCF for service members whose LTCFs expire while they are serving overseas so that their LTCF will still be valid when they get back long enough for them to have a chance to renew it.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I appreciate it.

I'll have to dig up the section that explicitly prohibits the DCNR from banning concealed carry in state parks to figure out whether I should open carry there..
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    that particular wording was not included in the bill, but the bill still does specifically allow for CCing (at least) in state parks by LTCF holders.

it's just that the wording that was included in the final bill was less broad.

1. it does still prohibit the DCNR from banning CC in state parks and state forest lands.

2. it prohibits katrina-style gun confiscations during officially declared "emergencies"

3. it provides for temporary, emergency LTCFs

4. it extends the valid period of an LTCF for service members whose LTCFs expire while they are serving overseas so that their LTCF will still be valid when they get back long enough for them to have a chance to renew it.
    5. Don't forget the PICS denial, PSP has to provide you with information without you hiring a attorney to get this information of WHY you were denied.

There are a couple of words that will be found in there that will be useful to some gun owners that are in sleath mode right now till needed

Like I have said in other post: this is not a perfect bill by no means, still there are lots of positive PRO-gun advances and that is always a good thing.
    Considering what the anti-gunner got introduce this session, what would you have done IF any of these AG ones got enacted instead?

Anti Gun Rights Bills Summary as of March 25, 2008
    http://acslpa.org/n-legislative/anti...ry_3_25_08.htm

They have taken our firearm rights away with lots of little so called "reasonable or common sense" slices we have to get them back the same way.

Make no mistake about this bill anti-gunner ZERO and for all their other effort spent in 2007-2008 session in harrisburg. Pro gun had another successful session with postive steps in the right direction. I hope many of you join in our efforts next session.

Don't forget to get and download PRO-GUN Voters guides from http://www.foac-pac.org/ make lots of copies pass them out to friends & family and GO VOTE

LTR thanks for staying on this thread with your excellent explanations

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast