Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 45 LC from Super Redhawk?

Looking at purchasing a Super Redhawk in .454 casull, and using 45LC for hunting.

Reason?

I'm am slowly finding more time to have less time not to reload I plan on purchasing LC dies relatively soon.
    I own a S&W Governor, and I am trying to to keep my calibers under some sort of control.
    It's my limited understanding that some loads are almost approaching 44 mag, so long as the frame can handle it......bonus.
    Thus the Redhawk.

My primary question is will the .45 LC accuracy suffer from being shot from a gun chambered in .454 Casull? I'm not looking to drop deer at 100 yds, but 60 or so would be nice.
    The OAL between the two isn't a lot.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: 45 LC from Super Redhawk?

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Looking at purchasing a Super Redhawk in .454 casull, and using 45LC for hunting.

Reason?

I'm am slowly finding more time to have less time not to reload I plan on purchasing LC dies relatively soon.
    I own a S&W Governor, and I am trying to to keep my calibers under some sort of control.
    It's my limited understanding that some loads are almost approaching 44 mag, so long as the frame can handle it......bonus.
    Thus the Redhawk.

My primary question is will the .45 LC accuracy suffer from being shot from a gun chambered in .454 Casull? I'm not looking to drop deer at 100 yds, but 60 or so would be nice.
    The OAL between the two isn't a lot.
    Why not just go with a Red Hawk chambered in .45lc. They'll take the higher pressure stuff and you won't have the added cylinder length.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Why not just go with a Red Hawk chambered in .45lc. They'll take the higher pressure stuff and you won't have the added cylinder length.
    The only Redhawks I've seen in .45 are short barreled. Otherwise, yes that would be great.

Like any revolver , some loads will shoot , some won't , but in general , no , you won't notice any difference because of the slightly longer chamber.

The most accurate .22 LR revolvers have cylinders long enough for a .38 special , no?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

The only Redhawks I've seen in .45 are short barreled. Otherwise, yes that would be great.
    Ruger did make the same 7 1/2in barreled Redhawk in .45 Colt as they did in .44/.41/.357 mag.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Ruger did make the same 7 1/2in barreled Redhawk in .45 Colt as they did in .44/.41/.357 mag.
    Do they still? I didn't see any on Ruger's site.

I haven't seen any for sale locally (more or less)

.454 seems to be common.

(Lycoming County)

Well, damn your right. I don't see any in stock anywhere. They used to offer the 5 1/2" model.

Well then the super Redhawk is going to be it I guess. If you're worried about bullet jump, you could always down load 454 to the level your looking for and keep the longer length.

Split the difference and grab a 44mag. Your options on firearms and components go up and the levels on the loads you can create is also very flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Split the difference and grab a 44mag. Your options on firearms and components go up and the levels on the loads you can create is also very flexible
    Guess you didn't read the OP?

(Centre County)

Go with the 7 1/2 inch Redhawk in .454, you won't be disappointed. But my recommendation would be to load your hunting ammo in .454 Casull brass. The walls on the brass are much thicker and will stand up to repeated loadings better than .45 Colt brass. I reload some light "cowboy" loads for the .45 Colt though and they are plenty accurate out of the redhawk.

Just a warning though, I had issues with my cylinder when I first got the gun. If I was running hot .454 loads through it I could not for the life of me get them out. I would have to put the gun in the freezer for a few hours, and then beat the cases out with a hammer. Gun went back to Ruger and they replaced the cylinder and I have not had that issue since. I talked to a few guys at the LGS and they said that they have seen similar issues with Ruger revolvers in magnum calibers when using hot loads. Ruger will fix the problem, but don't be surprised if there's an issue when you pick the gun up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast