Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: 45 LC from Super Redhawk?

I'm not sure why you're so hesitant to go with .454. I used to hotrod .45 Colts out of a Ruger Blackhawk and harvested a deer with it. Perhaps that could be a route for you if your concerned about accuracy, unless your bent on getting a Super Redhawk. Beware that the new model Vaqueros are not rated for atomic .45 Colt. Since then I've acquired a few Super Redhawks in .454 Casull and much prefer to load them up to loads that can match or exceed the maximum .45 Colt loads easily without approaching anywhere near maximum pressures. H-110 and 296 are not good powders for reduced loads, maybe even dangerous, use something else. I also see people are using .45 Colt dies to load .454. I've never tried this so you would have to experiment/research on your own. If it does work the only issue remaining would be brass which you say isn't an issue.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Looking at purchasing a Super Redhawk in .454 casull, and using 45LC for hunting.

Reason?

I'm am slowly finding more time to have less time not to reload I plan on purchasing LC dies relatively soon.
    I own a S&W Governor, and I am trying to to keep my calibers under some sort of control.
    It's my limited understanding that some loads are almost approaching 44 mag, so long as the frame can handle it......bonus.
    Thus the Redhawk.

My primary question is will the .45 LC accuracy suffer from being shot from a gun chambered in .454 Casull? I'm not looking to drop deer at 100 yds, but 60 or so would be nice.
    The OAL between the two isn't a lot.
    Why not just reload using .454 Casull brass to .45 LC pressures? You still get your pick of bullets and powder...
    - bamboomaster

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Why not just reload using .454 Casull brass to .45 LC pressures? You still get your pick of bullets and powder...
    ^This

Just because you have 454 brass does not mean you need to run the bullets at 1700fps. There are a ton of loads out there using an array of powders that will get you 1000'ish FPS with a 454 case.

As stated several times already, the 454 cases will give you better accuracy due to a shorter bullet jump to the cylinder throat and will prevent the buildup of a crud ring in the cylinder which could lead to excessive pressures if you were ever to shoot a real 454 load.

It is no different than buying a .357 then downloading .357 cases to 38spl level.

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I'm not sure why you're so hesitant to go with .454. I used to hotrod .45 Colts out of a Ruger Blackhawk and harvested a deer with it. Perhaps that could be a route for you if your concerned about accuracy, unless your bent on getting a Super Redhawk. Beware that the new model Vaqueros are not rated for atomic .45 Colt. Since then I've acquired a few Super Redhawks in .454 Casull and much prefer to load them up to loads that can match or exceed the maximum .45 Colt loads easily without approaching anywhere near maximum pressures. H-110 and 296 are not good powders for reduced loads, maybe even dangerous, use something else. I also see people are using .45 Colt dies to load .454. I've never tried this so you would have to experiment/research on your own. If it does work the only issue remaining would be brass which you say isn't an issue.
    As I said in the OP I'm really trying not to get caught up in more calibers. More brass, dies, etc, etc, or even stocking more store bought ammo. I have too many as it is. The only reason I'm looking at the SRH is the longer barrel, and so I can eventually mess around with hotter loads. Otherwise there's plenty of single action 45lc to be had. It's quite likely at some point I will go .454, if I end up with a SRH,
    just because that how it goes. I have so much $$$ tied up into so much crap right now, I'm trying to collect what I need now before everything becomes scarce again, without adding even more crap to the pile. Yeah....I know.......but I can lie to myself for a while can't I?

Great, now you guys have me searching for .454 brass and dies.

I hate you all!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Great, now you guys have me searching for .454 brass and dies.

I hate you all!
    You should know by now, we're all enablers here when it comes to new guns.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Well, damn your right. I don't see any in stock anywhere. They used to offer the 5 1/2" model.

Well then the super Redhawk is going to be it I guess. If you're worried about bullet jump, you could always down load 454 to the level your looking for and keep the longer length.
    This is one time-tested alternative (using the correct brass) that keeps the "junk/powder residue" out of the cylinder ^^^^^^^^^^^^.
    - bamboomaster

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    You should know by now, we're all enablers here when it comes to new guns.

(Clearfield County)

There is no problem shooting 45 Colt accurately from a 454. If the revolver shoots 454 okay, it will shoot 45 Colt okay. We have a 460 S&W which is longer than the 454. Here is a target shot with the 460 using 45 Colt rounds. I shot 5 shots @ 25 yards and then to show it was no fluke, took the target off and rotated it upside down and shot another 5 @ 25 yards. We also routinely shoot 45 Colt and 460 without cleaning it in between at the range. Normal cleaning of the cylinder removes any residue. The other advantage to the 454 is you have the greater power option should you later decide to go that route.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123