Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weird monitor problem

This just started with my older (maybe 8 yrs. old) 19" Gateway VX900 computer monitor.

When it goes into sleep/power saver mode and I "wake it up", the horizontal shift goes off by about 1/2" to the left. I can re-adjust it back to center with the monitor horizontal control...but is this a sign the monitor is on its way to the death house or maybe my graphics card??

After I re-adjust it's fine until it sleeps and wakes up again.

Otherwise everything else seems fine. Am using Windoze XP Home and a Dell Dimension 2400 'puter. Yeah, Dell 'puter, GW monitor.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Weird monitor problem

sounds to me like yer monitor is wearing out...probably the circuits that remember the settings.

frankly, I dont understand why anybody whos not into serious gameplay is even using a CRT monitor anymore.

I switched to a LCD years back, and never looked back.

seriously, time for a new monitor.
    its cheaper, uses less power, gives off less heat, has a better picture and is brighter.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Monroe County)

Sound like it`s trying to say good-bye. I just picked up a 19"LCD flat screen at a show for $109.
    You guys down there in Fikes Dairy land need to spend some of your money and stimulate the economy

Yeah, thanks guys. Also time for a new computer. Please send donations to...

LOL

It has been working fine all these years (first with the GW and now with the Dell puter) so I didn't see the need to replace it.

So for now, I'll just turn off the sleep mode and just power off the monitor when I'm away from it.

Then one day I'll go to turn it on and..................nothing....I guess

(Monroe County)

Hey your from the area. Is Marlene`s still over on 51 near Perryopolis?

(Chester County)

Have you hit the degauss button? Sometimes it helps set things straight again for a while. Otherwise, don't let it go to sleep, just use a blank screen for the screen saver until you can get a new monitor. It only burns pennies a day for 'lectric.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    This just started with my older (maybe 8 yrs. old) 19" Gateway VX900 computer monitor.

When it goes into sleep/power saver mode and I "wake it up", the horizontal shift goes off by about 1/2" to the left. I can re-adjust it back to center with the monitor horizontal control...but is this a sign the monitor is on its way to the death house or maybe my graphics card??

After I re-adjust it's fine until it sleeps and wakes up again.

Otherwise everything else seems fine. Am using Windoze XP Home and a Dell Dimension 2400 'puter. Yeah, Dell 'puter, GW monitor.
    That's definitely an issue with the monitor. As far as whether its dying, sounds like something in it is on the fritz, but that doesn't necessarily mean that anything else in it is going to go out soon.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Westmoreland County)

Sounds like your monitor needs cleaned. Simple task...just click this link and it will all be fixed!

http://theslurps.com/us/index.htm

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Philadelphia County)

Nowadays you can buy yourself a 22 inch, wide-screen LCD monitor, with built in speakers & webcam, for a little over $200 shipped (www.newegg.com)

Do yourself a favor and throw that old P.O.S. out the window.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Have you hit the degauss button? Sometimes it helps set things straight again for a while. Otherwise, don't let it go to sleep, just use a blank screen for the screen saver until you can get a new monitor. It only burns pennies a day for 'lectric.
    This is the first thing you should try. Degausser. There may be a field burned into it causing it to deflect the ions/light particles. I once had a monitor act strange and degauss saved the day. If it does not, then time to save up.

Good luck. BTW, LCD will give you a little more desk space as they are not twice as deep as they are wide!!
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast