Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pittsburgh City Council District 3

Bruce Kraus is facing 3 challengers for his seat on council. I have spend the past few days gathering information.

On Saturday, I spoke to Christopher Kumanchik for about 40 minutes on the phone.
    This morning, I had coffee with Amy Schrempf.
    I'm not sure who the 3rd challenger is and I haven't spoken to this person.

Kumanchik is very a pro-gun guy. He is an NRA member but he doesn't seem to have as large of a base of support.
    Schrempf is moderately pro-gun but she feels that it's not city council's business to get involved with what should be a state or federal issue.

Honestly, I like Kumanchik a little better but I think that Shrempf has a better shot at winning. I spoke to someone from the chamber of commerce on the South Side today and apparently, they're leaning more towards Shrempf.

I'm looking for more perspective from you all. Maybe there's an angle I'm not considering yet.

Gentlemen and presumably ladies of PAFOA, what say you?

Walt

Default Re: Pittsburgh City Council District 3

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Daddy View Post
    Bruce Kraus is facing 3 challengers for his seat on council. I have spend the past few days gathering information.

On Saturday, I spoke to Christopher Kumanchik for about 40 minutes on the phone.
    This morning, I had coffee with Amy Schrempf.
    I'm not sure who the 3rd challenger is and I haven't spoken to this person.

Kumanchik is very a pro-gun guy. He is an NRA member but he doesn't seem to have as large of a base of support.
    Schrempf is moderately pro-gun but she feels that it's not city council's business to get involved with what should be a state or federal issue.

Honestly, I like Kumanchik a little better but I think that Shrempf has a better shot at winning. I spoke to someone from the chamber of commerce on the South Side today and apparently, they're leaning more towards Shrempf.

I'm looking for more perspective from you all. Maybe there's an angle I'm not considering yet.

Gentlemen and presumably ladies of PAFOA, what say you?

Walt
    Her stance is at least in line with what a city person should think.., they have no business in a matter that's bigger than the city. What we need to know is where they stand on the other issues important to the people of Pittsburgh. For example, if Kumanchik is solidly conservative, then I give his chances as next to zero. At the December 12th meeting, a few people got up and said "we need to make Pittsburgh the most progressive city in the country." Also, at many of the council meetings, the people show up to speak out against cuts in public funding such as for housing. My point is, if he's a typical conservative, then he's swimming an uphill battle in Pittsburgh regardless of his stance on guns. I really don't think guns are much of an issue for the people in Pittsburgh in general, as compared to the rest of their social programs and hand outs. If she, on the other hand, is "moderately pro gun" but more progressive than Kumanchik, then I would agree that she's the favored winning (assuming Kraus doesn't beat them both in a landslide).

Her stance is at least acceptable from a person on a city council perspective, in my opinion. I don't need her to be a gun rights champion, I just need her to recognize her place in the pecking order.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

As I understand it, he's just a pro-gun Democrat. He's a big pro-union guy and being in the city, he has to be a Democrat to have any chance of winning any elected office.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Her stance is at least in line with what a city person should think.., they have no business in a matter that's bigger than the city. What we need to know is where they stand on the other issues important to the people of Pittsburgh. For example, if Kumanchik is solidly conservative, then I give his chances as next to zero. At the December 12th meeting, a few people got up and said "we need to make Pittsburgh the most progressive city in the country." Also, at many of the council meetings, the people show up to speak out against cuts in public funding such as for housing. My point is, if he's a typical conservative, then he's swimming an uphill battle in Pittsburgh regardless of his stance on guns. I really don't think guns are much of an issue for the people in Pittsburgh in general, as compared to the rest of their social programs and hand outs. If she, on the other hand, is "moderately pro gun" but more progressive than Kumanchik, then I would agree that she's the favored winning (assuming Kraus doesn't beat them both in a landslide).

Her stance is at least acceptable from a person on a city council perspective, in my opinion. I don't need her to be a gun rights champion, I just need her to recognize her place in the pecking order.
    Kumanchik was at the meeting and at the rally last month. I remember him specifically because I pegged him for an FBI agent. Turns out I was wrong, but you can never be too careful.

I don't think he has a chance though. Neither does the other person running. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them (minus Kumanchik I would imagine) were running just to give the seat back to Kraus by splitting the vote.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    Kumanchik was at the meeting and at the rally last month. I remember him specifically because I pegged him for an FBI agent. Turns out I was wrong, but you can never be too careful.

I don't think he has a chance though. Neither does the other person running. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them (minus Kumanchik I would imagine) were running just to give the seat back to Kraus by splitting the vote.
    I'm convinced that Kumanchik is legit. When I talked to him on Saturday, it came up in the course of the conversation that I had been a TA where he went to college. When I mentioned the course number, he knew one of the professors that taught it. At the very least, he is someone who went to Pitt, like he claims to be.

(Allegheny County)

From what i've gathered on the Pittsburgh reddit and elsewhere, Kraus seems to be pretty widely despised, and he is definitely one of the ones who is lockstep with Peduto on just about everything. One of these challengers needs to drop out sooner rather than later, or as said above, they're just going to split the vote, which seems to be common with these city council races, and why these same clowns get re-elected over and over.

I agree that you are never going to get a stalwart supporter of gun rights in a city council position, but if they at least understand the scope of their role, and what that can, and cannot do, then that is satisfactory.

Most important of all is someone who isn't afraid to oppose Peduto. Peduto is the worst type of politician with an insatiable appetite for power. An ideologue like him needs a moderating force to prevent him from ramming through whatever he wants. I read the other day that the Peduto administration is involved with half a dozen lawsuits against the city involving their legislative overreach, and that's before the preemption lawsuits that seem inevitable at this point (edit - here's the article: https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...reach-lawsuits).
    Last edited by afultz075; February 19th, 2019 at 09:55 AM.