Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default My Shiny New Hi-Point Carbine

Well...I found this 'used' Hi-Point 9mm carbine in a gun shop so I'll have a disposable piece for revolting against 'the man' and his illegal gun laws. The shop owner seemed relieved that he was getting rid of if as it is missing the cocking handle (operating handle as Hi-Point calls it) and the rear sight. I brought it home and started going over it, it's really dirty. Not like it's been shot dirty, like it sat in the corner of a house trailer for 15 years dirty. It had goobers on it and stuff, looked nasty as hell. I watched a YouTube video on disassembly and went to work. In a couple of minutes I had the receiver in one hand and the one-piece goobered up stock in the other. The stock is 100% plastic with Allen screws holding it together. I managed to get it into the dishwasher cockeyed and fired it up with a serving of Cascade in the dispenser and away she went.

Back to the bench and popped the cover off of the receiver and this thing looks like all it's ever seen was some racking and dry firing. No powder residue, no powder smell, nothing but some grime hanging around in there. Gave it a round of cleaning with Hoppe's and oiling and wiped the stock off after it came out of the dishwasher looking pretty spiffy. I found a parts distributor on the www over the weekend but they're asking like $3.00 for a 1" Allen head screw, I can get them at ACE for less than that.

So...today I call Hi-Point in OH and get a real American woman to answer the phone after pressing "2", damn it's nice to be able to interact with someone like that. I ask how bad they're going to jam me up for the screws and she informs me that they're free, as is the missing sight, hardware and screws. "What else is missing?", she asked, "Did you get the sling?". HOLY SHIT!!!! Yep, I got the sling but I also found that a pin and a couple of other screws are missing, she'll send me a few of those as well. "You should have them in two-three days", she tells me and, "Have a nice day". If this didn't happen to me I wouldn't believe it. I can't wait to go shoot this thing.

Attachment 115274
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: My Shiny New Hi-Point Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Well...I found this 'used' Hi-Point 9mm carbine in a gun shop so I'll have a disposable piece for revolting against 'the man' and his illegal gun laws. The shop owner seemed relieved that he was getting rid of if as it is missing the cocking handle (operating handle as Hi-Point calls it) and the rear sight. I brought it home and started going over it, it's really dirty. Not like it's been shot dirty, like it sat in the corner of a house trailer for 15 years dirty. It had goobers on it and stuff, looked nasty as hell. I watched a YouTube video on disassembly and went to work. In a couple of minutes I had the receiver in one hand and the one-piece goobered up stock in the other. The stock is 100% plastic with Allen screws holding it together. I managed to get it into the dishwasher cockeyed and fired it up with a serving of Cascade in the dispenser and away she went.

Back to the bench and popped the cover off of the receiver and this thing looks like all it's ever seen was some racking and dry firing. No powder residue, no powder smell, nothing but some grime hanging around in there. Gave it a round of cleaning with Hoppe's and oiling and wiped the stock off after it came out of the dishwasher looking pretty spiffy. I found a parts distributor on the www over the weekend but they're asking like $3.00 for a 1" Allen head screw, I can get them at ACE for less than that.

So...today I call Hi-Point in OH and get a real American woman to answer the phone after pressing "2", damn it's nice to be able to interact with someone like that. I ask how bad they're going to jam me up for the screws and she informs me that they're free, as is the missing sight, hardware and screws. "What else is missing?", she asked, "Did you get the sling?". HOLY SHIT!!!! Yep, I got the sling but I also found that a pin and a couple of other screws are missing, she'll send me a few of those as well. "You should have them in two-three days", she tells me and, "Have a nice day". If this didn't happen to me I wouldn't believe it. I can't wait to go shoot this thing.

Attachment 115274
    Their customer service history is decent, and same with the carbine quality.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

And you have the newer "TS" model. Cool! Aside from the occasional loosening of the front sight, mine is reliable.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    And you have the newer "TS" model. Cool! Aside from the occasional loosening of the front sight, mine is reliable.
    To get it apart the front sight has to be removed. I'm wondering if I got it back in place centered properly.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I had the same problem, they gave me a whole screw kit for free, BASTARDS

Just a FYI, israeli tracers will not fire out of it, hard primers I guess.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    To get it apart the front sight has to be removed. I'm wondering if I got it back in place centered properly.
    I have the older 995 model. My front sght was loose and the metal shroud-ish looking piece on top of the barrel fell off. It's nice and tight now. The pieces do lock together a bit. I keep an allen wrench set with it just in case.

Its good to know that a gun company will take care of their customers. Hi-point didn't loose the parts, however they are more than willing to replace them. I know the haters are gonna come in here and hate on Hi-point. That's ok, Hi-point is still an excellent company to me.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Clearfield County)

When I call them I always get the impression that the phone is answered by whoever happens to be walking past it on the shop floor.

(Warren County)

Yer gonna fall in love with it.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Berks County)

I’m thinking about the 10mm one next. I need me some hydro dipped fantasyland goodness.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast