Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Skippack LTCF police check

Question for anyone in the Skippack, pa area with an LTCF:

since skippack does not have a local police force ( PA state police serve the area) how does one get the local police check done? Take it to the state police?

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Skippack LTCF police check

What local police check? There is no requirement for that in the LTCF process. You go to the county sheriff. If the sheriff is giving you some form for the police to sign off on, ask him what he expects...

(Montgomery County)

Montgomery county has a form called a "Local Police Check Card", that is required to be filled out by the local police force. I know this is not required in other counties however the Montco Sheriff uses this as part of the "investigation" called out in the firearms code

(Northumberland County)

I think you'll need to call the sheriff's office and ask them what exactly you should do. That way you give them what they want.

(Berks County)

When I lived there the sherriff's office took care of it. They know which townships have local police and which are serviced by the state police. I just went there with the app and the money and all was taken care of.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Montgomery County)

thanks for the replies....I'll give them a call this afternoon

(Montgomery County)

Go to the sheriff and get the paperwork if you haven't already. Take it to the State Police barracks that is in Skippack. Its on 113, a little north of the Wawa on the left (if you are coming from the Wawa), but before the CVS.
    Give it about a week.5 and then call the sheriff to see if they got it back. Then just go pick it up, its $46 for the nicer one which i suggest you get.
    I live in Skippack too and it look me about 2 weeks.
    -Alex

this may sound like a dumb question, but what are the Skippack State Police going to do that wouldn't be done at the Sheriff's office on the same state system?
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    this may sound like a dumb question, but what are the Skippack State Police going to do that wouldn't be done at the Sheriff's office on the same state system?
    Nothing...

The idea is that if a citizen has had run in's with local police, that isn't necessarily going to be in the PICS Database. Personally I believe that the sheriff should do his own investigation if he's going to be that thorough.

(Indiana County)

Section 6109(d) of the Uniform Firearms Act reads as follows:

(d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.--The sheriff to whom the application is made shall investigate the applicant's record of criminal convictions, shall investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year, shall investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and shall investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) and shall conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency or mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to firearm ownership).

Please note, it says the sheriff shall investigage, it says nothing at all about the citizen being required to proactively assist the investigation. The sheriff is exceeding his authority.

Unfortunately, all you can do is apply, refuse to play Local Police Check Card, and force the sheriff to deny the application. Then you have to appeal it to the court, and have the court force the sheriff to issue the license.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast