Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Can I open carry a pistol at work at age 18

I'm not gonna reiterate what others have said, they are right.

When I OC'd at 18(damn im getting old) I had...issues. You can read about it, the topic is still up. Long story short, it is more trouble than it is worth(this was private property, not out in public).

Being that young, it's easy to think that carrying a gun makes you invincible. Do you know how to fight with a gun? How to use proper retention techniques? Is your head on a swivel? Are you living in the yellow? What is your backup weapon? What is your de-escalation technique? Do you have less lethal options?

That is just the tip of the iceberg, and I'm sure if you are like me at that age, you probably got most of it covered, I would hope. Go take some fighting classes. No, not "self defense" classes. Learn Boxing, Wrestling, and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu. When you can afford more, take classes that teach you how to fight with a gun. No, not shooting drills, and drawing(those help you be a better gun handler), but how to deploy your gun in a fight, and how to retain it.

I say this, not because everyone should do it, or is what should be done, but it gives you more options, and I can only assume that if you are carrying a gun, you have a certain mindset on life, that of a sheepdog. Don't allow a gun, and a knife to be your only defensive options. There are situations where your only option will be hand to hand. You are not about to pull a gun on some drunk guy grabbing your girls ass and decided to throw a punch. BJJ is like carrying a gun in the fighting world, life and death. Boxing ends fights before they begin(make sure you are in the right), and wrestling keeps the guy pinned until help arrives. Knives are meant to be felt, not seen(don't pull out a weapon unless you are gonna use it, if the threat has not yet stopped at the sight of one). With all that comes strength and cardio, etc. You get the point.

I get it. It's cool to exercise your right and carry. It's cool you have the ultimate tool to defend yourself on your hip. But it is not a one size fits all solution. It is just one of the tools in the chest. No, you don't have to do all that I mentioned. You can just carry a gun, and physically remove yourself from any situation you think is gonna get dicey. Just, sometimes, the situation does not give you that "out", and maybe a gun is not the correct response. You have three years until you are good to go. That is a ton of time to learn, hone, and educate yourself on the techniques, and lifestyle. Use it.
    Last edited by coppery; March 10th, 2019 at 06:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12