Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Sunday Night Rock Island Project

Fitting a New Plunger Tube on your 1911

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=129

One of the great things about the 1911 is that every part on the gun is replaceable. The downside is that stuff wears out and/or comes loose. Combine this with the proliferation of sub quality parts common with many manufacturers, and this can be a recipe for disaster. I have found that current production Kimbers are plagued with plunger tubes that give way sooner rather than later. If the stakes give way and the tube is not properly supported by the grips as originally designed, the plunger tube can work itself far enough from the frame to prevent you from being able to disengage the safety and fire the pistol. This isn’t typically regarded as a good thing.
    Here I will discuss how I fit a new plunger tube. Done this way, I have yet to experience one of my stakes come loose (and I have done a few.) You will need the following (Brownells P/N’s provided for your reference):
    Replacement Plunger Tube 087-821-000WB
    Loctite 638 Retaining Compound 532-000-008
    Gun Runners Plunger Tube Staking Tool 634-000-001
    Crescent Wrench
    Bench Vise

<<see link for the rest or see some videos out there>>
    Last edited by gghbi; February 22nd, 2019 at 08:54 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Fitting a New Plunger Tube on your 1911

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=129

<<see link for the rest or see some videos out there>>

done!

(Philadelphia County)

is it worth it to upgrade the trigger and sights while i have everything apart? i dont know much about Rock Island.
    Last edited by bravo30; February 22nd, 2019 at 09:19 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bravo30 View Post
    home depot pr lowes carry it? if not, where locally? i dont have the patience to order through the mail.
    Advanced auto parts should have it , also tractor supply, walmart, true value, harbor freight, but here I'll make it even easier lol drop your zip code here

https://evapo-rust.com/buy/retail/

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    Advanced auto parts should have it , also tractor supply, walmart, true value, harbor freight, but here I'll make it even easier lol drop your zip code here

https://evapo-rust.com/buy/retail/
    i noticed you mentioned Adavanced auto parts AFTER i made that post lol... theres one locally so ill grab some tomorrow when im out and about. thanks again!

(Lancaster County)

i noticed you mentioned Adavanced auto parts AFTER i made that post lol... theres one locally so ill grab some tomorrow when im out and about. thanks again!
    no sweat your other option was to swing out my way and pick up the quart I happen to have ha figured advanced auto parts was closer

(Bucks County)

There are many chemicals that do a good job getting rid of rust. But there are none that will look good if you try and refinish the pistol. You will see every imperfection and pit.

Unless you get an extra thick painted finish like cerakote (which will look like crap) you should just get the whole pistol bead blasted and reparked by someone who knows what he is doing. They will take it down to bare metal and remove all traces of the rust you missed chemically. The other option is for you to get out the files and fine grit sandpaper and get to work till it looks like glass. But that will take weeks (or more) and you will still have to get it reblued.

I would get the pistol running and make sure it is reliable. Just try not to let any of your friends see you shoot the ugly pistol. When you are sure it is 100% get it refinished.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    There are many chemicals that do a good job getting rid of rust. But there are none that will look good if you try and refinish the pistol. You will see every imperfection and pit.

Unless you get an extra thick painted finish like cerakote (which will look like crap) you should just get the whole pistol bead blasted and reparked by someone who knows what he is doing. They will take it down to bare metal and remove all traces of the rust you missed chemically. The other option is for you to get out the files and fine grit sandpaper and get to work till it looks like glass. But that will take weeks (or more) and you will still have to get it reblued.

I would get the pistol running and make sure it is reliable. Just try not to let any of your friends see you shoot the ugly pistol. When you are sure it is 100% get it refinished.
    believe it or not the frame is in excellent shape it just needs to be cleaned up a bit more. no pitting at all. the only parts that need to be replaced are the smaller trigger components.

(Delaware County)

These pictures make me sad.

(Bucks County)

believe it or not the frame is in excellent shape it just needs to be cleaned up a bit more. no pitting at all. the only parts that need to be replaced are the smaller trigger components.
    I was thinking more about your pic of the top of the slide. There is pitting under there. You can easily file and sand it out but when you go to refinish it you will see where you sanded. Once you change the original surface the new parking or blueing won't be the same color as the parts you didn't sand. It will look worse when you are done. Your only choices (unless you Cerakote it) is to get all of the surface metal the same. Bead blasting is the best if you are parkerizing.

As for the other parts? To me they don't matter as much. Maybe it is from my milsurp days but I like seeing firearms with slightly mismatched parts. But each part has to have an even tone.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast