Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Rubber cement like goo in blackpowder revolver

Neither situation.

I've put about 100 rounds through it in several range sessions, always promptly cleaning with boiling water and dishsoap as soon as I get home. It has never sat dirty longer than the time it takes me to get home from the range and put everything else away.

Last time I had it out to shoot was about 2-3 weeks ago, it has been sitting in the safe since.

I had never pulled the internals totally apart, but had pulled the grip and soaked the frame as a whole.

(Berks County)

Dish soap will congeal into snot if left to evaporate long enough. Water would be the best solvent. I think your question has found it’s answer. Your lucky it didn’t rust to hell.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Dish soap will congeal into snot if left to evaporate long enough. Water would be the best solvent. I think your question has found it’s answer. Your lucky it didn’t rust to hell.
    Why on the rust? I've been using boiling water and dish soap to clean BP residue for right at 20 years and have never had a gun rust or gum up.

Boiling water down the barrel and soap, do my brush/jag work, and rinse in clean boiling water to carry residue off.

I'm not a BP afficianado, but I've run through about a pound of powder a year with the same cleaning regimine and haven't seen this.

I'm not saying it isn't the soap, but I'd need info saying it *is* the soap.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Why on the rust? I've been using boiling water and dish soap to clean BP residue for right at 20 years and have never had a gun rust or gum up.

Boiling water down the barrel and soap, do my brush/jag work, and rinse in clean boiling water to carry residue off.

I'm not a BP afficianado, but I've run through about a pound of powder a year with the same cleaning regimine and haven't seen this.

The dish washing soap has water in it, if that’s what turned to buggies, why wouldn’t it rust the steel? It didn’t so I’m guessing something suffocated to oxygen from bonding with the iron. I’m sure that’s not on the list of liquid soap characteristics when developed.

Put a sample of your soap in a cup for 6 months. 1/4 to 1/2 inch out to due. See what it looks like.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Jefferson County)

I've seen this happen with a number of different types of gun oils(and 3-in-1 Oil). I use Pyrodex Pistol with my 1851 Navy, and have had to deal with the same issue in the past.

Oils will over time cake up. Then factor in what happens when powder residue mixes with the oils after firing.

I've learned that to avoid it by using the absolutely lightest oiling of the internals of the gun as possible after thorough cleaning.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post

This is how I clean my BP rifle as well, never had an issue with rust.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12