Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ruger SP101 Match Champion 357

I've had my eyes on this gun for a while now. Anybody out there have one and want to share your thoughts?

Is it worth the premium over the standard Sp101?

How shiny is the polish? I really like the matted finish on the standard SP101's.

I already have a GP100 4" 357. Am I throwing my money away in thinking of getting a SP101?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Ruger SP101 Match Champion 357

I've held the SP101 Match Champions and I can tell you there's a difference. Polish is nice. Not mirror finish, but a much higher polish than the usual. The grip is awesome. Very ergonomic and gives you a great hold. The trigger mechanism is polished and shimmed, so the trigger is smooth and breaks clean. The barrel is target crowned as well so there's that potential small edge in accuracy too. Here's the thing, short of the target crown, you can easily turn your current 4" into a Match Champion. Get a Wolff spring kit, measure and install shims (Shively Sales/Triggershims.com), and get the grip from Altamont (Ruger's OE supplier). I did it to a 4" with excellent results.

Default Re: Ruger SP101 Match Champion 357

Just not quite sure where a 5-shot, 4.2" barreled .357 fits into the general scheme of things. The use of the moniker "Match Champion" infers that it is suitable for some type of competition - what kind I have no idea. As a nicely outfitted general purpose small revolver it is very nice - and I do think the upgrades are worth the money over the standard model. Nice gun, just a poor choice for a name.

The big brother GP100 Match Champions can live up to the name and are suitable for IDPA / ICORE and USPSA (although 8-shot revolvers own the revolver division in the latter).

Just an observation.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member