Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 7.62x39 AR15 Pistol - Add Your Input for an Affordable Build

ATLAS hand guard arrived early and I'm itching to install the barrel nut, gas block/tube, muzzle device, and hand guard.

I picked up an upper block to hold it in a vice. I need to find my torque wrench.

QUESTIONS:

1. What kind of grease do I need to apply to the threads of the barrel nut?

2. What kind of thread locker do I use (need to buy - parts store?) on the set screws for the gas block (or anything else I'm missing)?

I have the following grease available. I hate to have to order some special "AR15 grease" if these will work.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I’ve always used aeroshell 33ms per the AR15 armors guide you only need a very small amount and it’s cheap.

If you choose to use regular grease then just use Walmart super tech.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I’ve always used aeroshell 33ms per the AR15 armors guide you only need a very small amount and it’s cheap.

If you choose to use regular grease then just use Walmart super tech.
    I'm not spending $8 on a tiny tub of grease unless there's a specific reason to use that specific grease, I'll just use the Lucas Red n Tacky that I use for greasing the spindles on my commercial mower. I can't think of any reason the threads need grease other than making it easier to remove sometime down the road.
    If it's anything like any of my other rifles, it's never getting changed anyway.

(Allegheny County)

I got some ( I believe) aeroshell grease from a member at last years Central pa group shoot... Im sure I could spare a dab if you really need it..

(Allegheny County)

And they say that grease ... Prevents the aluminum upper from welding itself to the steel barrel nut under the extreme heat and pressure of use. .

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    And they say that grease ... Prevents the aluminum upper from welding itself to the steel barrel nut under the extreme heat and pressure of use. .
    Yeah, I was just watching a video from Brownell's about using a dab of anti-seize when you can't get things to time properly.
    Nothing was mentioned about grease.
    He did say that he's assembled and disassembled many AR15 barrels over the years and he's never seen "galvanic whateverit'scalled", so I'm thinking I'm overthinking this and the Lucas Red n Tacky is what I'm probably going to use.

For the gas block you should use HI Temp thread locker (brand really doesn't matter) if it's a secured by screws only. I use blue for everything else like the hand guard screws, pistol grip screw.

Hey Empty , wanted to tune you in.
    I have a 7.62x39 pistol .... sort of , as in I'm using a pistol lower with shockwave but the upper is that standard 7.62x39 upper from BCA that kept popping up in the deals thread.
    I been shooting it and so far it has run like a champ , nothing better to ask for.
    I have an old Bushnell 3x9 on it and have only papered it at 100yds with wolf 122gr fmj and as long as I'm serious and don't over heat it , the rounds lay right next to each other at 100yds.
    A steel g'hog at 300yds gets banged with ease by placing the crosshairs right on top of his head.
    I have only been using the same 2 mags , the others I will try later but so far ..... the mags , both C-mags only will load one rd less than advertised.
    The 28 loads 27 and the 20 loads 19 ........ the 20 also does not hold the bolt open?
    But whatever , ........the lower is just a PSA pistol lower with brace , same standard buffer , springs , etc .......

(Allegheny County)

I haven't honestly "filled" my mags while consciously noting the number loaded, so I don't know if I have any loading/capacity issues.
    I'm almost certain the 20 rounder I have takes all 20 though.

(Allegheny County)

With all the idiots shouting for gun control, I decided to grab the last of the items I need to wrap this up sooner than planned.

I wet with a Toocraft black nitride 7.62x39 BCG from Arm or Ally for $84.99 vs the no-name blem from Right to Bear for $74.99.
    I figured I'd spend the extra $10 for a trusted brand. Oh - the $74.99 one has been the same price for months and now TODAY it's $89.99

I also grabbed an Aero Precision LPK (minus FCG, trigger guard, and grip) for $20

Then last night I grabbed:
    KAK Shockwave Blade - $25
    KAK Buffer Tube Kit (KAK dimpled buffer tube, buffer, spring, end plate, castle nut) - $25
    Spikes Tactical standard charging handle - $20
    and to get me to the free shipping threshold, I added a 5.56 firing pin for $6.50

Anyone building a pistol who is OK with the Shockwave Blade vs the more expensive options on the market, THIS is the place to buy from - I have never seen them for less.
    https://skidtactical.com/product-cat...shockwave-kak/

I want to get a nice trigger, but that will have to wait now. I do have a few milspec fire control groups in my parts box.
    I'll also need to get sights, but for now, I have a set of MBUS I can use.
    I think I have about 6 or 8 milspec pistol grips, so I'll upgrade that later as well.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast