Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Job done

(Susquehanna County)

Default Job done

The Wolff spring kit came with yesterday's mail so this morning I did the job using Jerry Miculek as my tutor. The job went pretty well but there was a hiccup when it came to installing the rebound spring (I chose the 14#). The pen I used would not compress the spring far enough inside the carrier to fully clear the stake that captures the spring. So when you decide to do your own, be sure to use a pen or other instrument that has a long enough "shank" to fully compress the spring and still be thin enough to push the carrier and installed spring past the stake to it's final position.

Next trip to the range will include a session with CCI primers and backing out the strain screw to get the right ignition. BTW the trigger slap problem seems to have stopped, at least dry firing.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

Default Re: Job done

Brownells has a tool fo dat.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Brownells has a tool fo dat.
    Sure but it costs $19.99 plus tax and shipping the spring kit only costs $15 Why would I want to spend the extra for a tool I'll probably never use again? BTW a roll pin punch of the correct diameter would probably work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Sure but it costs $19.99 plus tax and shipping the spring kit only costs $15 Why would I want to spend the extra for a tool I'll probably never use again? BTW a roll pin punch of the correct diameter would probably work.
    If you only ever intend to do the one gun, you are 100% correct. I bought a tool because I have done multiple guns and it makes life much easier. I also keep it in my range tool kit and have had to use it mid-match, when my trigger stopped returning (had a 10# or less spring in it). Nothing more disconcerting at a match than to pull the trigger and then flick it forward with your finger in order to continue shooting.

Hope that your range session goes as expected - sounds like you have cured the problem.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

I have two punches from a set that seems like they'll do the job. One measures 0.121" dia. the other 0.153". If I ever have to do it again I'll try them (if I remember). Either that or I'll buy a Bic stick pen like Miculek uses in the video.

(Lancaster County)

The correct size punches should work fine to “captivate” the spring
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Susquehanna County)

Well proof as always that bench work has to confirmed by range time and test firing. Got the strain screw square rooted after firing about 60 rounds and backing off and readjusting the strain screw to fire reliably. But found some bad trigger slap happening also, so today I pulled the 14# spring and replaced it with the 13#. The punches worked fine. Tested the trigger pull with my Lyman gauge and got an average of 7# trigger pull. Now I have to reconfirm that lighting off CCI primers is still OK.

(Allegheny County)

The strain screw is not supposed to be an adjustment....it should be screwed in all the way. If you really have to play with it consider some light duty threadlocker, else it could back out and give ya misfires.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bib View Post
    The strain screw is not supposed to be an adjustment....it should be screwed in all the way. If you really have to play with it consider some light duty threadlocker, else it could back out and give ya misfires.
    Right. That is why every gunsmith who does a trigger job on a S&W shortens the strain screw to adjust the weight of trigger pull.

(Allegheny County)

Yes....shortens, not loosens!