Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Do you have any use for .22 rimfire AR - AK clones?

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    A few years back I bought a Bushmaster dedicated .22LR upper from a friend for $300. This is the original Bushmaster company before it moved south and its ex-employees remaining behind formed Windham Weaponry.

I put it on a plastic lower (bought from Bob's...forget the brand) and it is fun to shoot, when it shoots. Constant feed/extract/eject problems.

I wanted to try an experiment with the firing pin but not until I located a second one. The "new Bushmaster" has no parts. Phoned Windham asking for part, they have none. While I had him (former Bushmaster worker) on the phone I asked why they stopped making the upper, and he said they just couldn't get it to run.

Now complete rifles are available for what I have in the bad upper.
    That's surprising. Mine is a freakin' Chiappa dedicated 22LR upper - supposed to be "crap" from what I read on the interwebs, but it's never given me a problem.
    I started out just swapping the upper on my 5.56, but got tired of having a "half gun", plus shooting 22LR made my 5.56 lower dirty as FU@K.
    I then bought a polymer New Frontier lower so I could have a complete 22LR AR15 as god intended.

It'll shoot the 50 rd drum dry as fast as I can press the trigger.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I've got a Sig 522 that I bought off a member here. It's a great little plinker. Accurate, too. I use it for steel matches from time to time.
    Mine came with a bull barrel. I never put it on, don't need it. Quite accurate.

(Armstrong County)

My AR22 SBR gets the most rounds down range per year, ammo cost aside. Just too damn much fun to shoot.
    4.5" barrel with a large diameter can, sounds like a staple gun.
    I might give it a new paint job soon.

I grabbed a WASR AK22 years ago when Dunham's had them for like $200-225. Should have bought a couple more.
    Had some teething issues; ejected brass would not clear the port and get stuck in the dust cover and FGC, I would get a few doubles and triples here and there, would only eat 1 or 2 kinds of ammo.
    Some polishing, recoil spring clipping, full size AK dust cover, Black dog machine extractor and ejector and it runs great with just about anything except Remington Golden bullets. Which is no surprise.

Both are great for young new shooters to understand the mechanics of each weapon with out the bark and recoil.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    My AR22 SBR gets the most rounds down range per year, ammo cost aside. Just too damn much fun to shoot.
    4.5" barrel with a large diameter can, sounds like a staple gun.
    I might give it a new paint job soon.

I grabbed a WASR AK22 years ago when Dunham's had them for like $200-225. Should have bought a couple more.
    Had some teething issues; ejected brass would not clear the port and get stuck in the dust cover and FGC, I would get a few doubles and triples here and there, would only eat 1 or 2 kinds of ammo.
    Some polishing, recoil spring clipping, full size AK dust cover, Black dog machine extractor and ejector and it runs great with just about anything except Remington Golden bullets. Which is no surprise.

Both are great for young new shooters to understand the mechanics of each weapon with out the bark and recoil.
    WASR-22
    I replaced the disconnector spring in the fire control group, that solved the doubling issue for me. I replaced the dust cover with a spare Romanian one that had larger opening. I think the extractor needed to be changed but I'm no engineer. Its a really neat gun though, wish I would gotten another one when they were cheap.

The 10/22 is "easier" but I like the WASR-22 better.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Blair County)

I had the Sig 522 with pencil barrel and folding stock. Was an awesome gun, but not lefty friendly, blew burnt powder in my eye through the slot that the charging handle rides in. Was super accurate though with a 12 power scope i was getting 1" groups at 100. Im Thinking about one of the gsg mp5 looking 22s now.

(York County)

Thanks all for your responses.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123