Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default NJ AR-15 rifle build - need help

Ok guys, I expect the NJ flames to get high in here, but please keep in mind that I just want to build myself an AR-15!

I would like to build a 16" CAR style rifle, mainly with A2 options. The problem is that NJ still has its assault weapons ban or sorts going on. This is a list of what can't be part of the rifle:

- No folding/collapsible stocks
    - No high capacity mags (15 rounds max.)
    - No flash suppressor (what is difference between this an muzzle brake?)
    - No bayonet lug
    - Barrel minimum of 16"
    - Can't say AR15 on the rifle. (pretty dumb huh?)

Ok, so I have heard that STAG Arms lower receivers say STAG15 on them, so they should be a good supplier to go with. Anyone know of any other suppliers that don't say AR15 on them?

For the upper, I have been checking out Del-Ton, AR-15kits.com, Model 1 Sales, and AR15products.net. The problem is, I'm a newby to AR-15s, and to any semi-auto rifles for that matter. I am having a hard time sorting through all the different options, and what they look like. I have tried Googling some of the parts, and that gives me ideas of what they look like, but I'm still uncertain because of many different pics for each search. Can anyone point me in the right direction for where some good pics/explanations of the different options would be found? This would help alot.

Also, what is the difference between a flash suppressor and a muzzle brake? I can't find any uppers that don't have atleast one of these two things, and am afraid that NJ won't see a difference between the two even if there is one.

Hopefully you guys can get past me being in NJ for this, I'm most likely going to be moving to PA, but want to wait for graduation since I still don't know where I will be working yet. Any help is greatly appreciated guys! Thanks!

-Moose

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

Default Re: NJ AR-15 rifle build - need help

Well, I'll try to cover everything you mentioned. With those rules in mind...

A standard A2 stock will work and be legal. The ACE skeleton stock also works as it is fixed.

You can get 5 and 10 round mags and maybe, if you look hard enough, someone will have 15 round mags. I know the 5 and 10 rounders are readily available though.

You can get barrels that are not threaded for a flash suppressor or use a stainless bull barrel (again, no flash suppressor). Of the many companies that offer this, I believe bushmaster offers both.

You can still buy guns in "post-ban" configs (so... no bayo lug) or you can get one that has a low pro gas block. Those don't have the lug.

Its super easy to find a 16" barrel... any company that makes AR15's will have them.

Last, I think you'd be hard pressed to find "AR15" on many rifles. My bushmaster has "XM15" on it. As I understand it, Armalite is the only company that actually has a true "AR15"...

Honestly, if what you mentioned are the only requirements, it should be dead easy to get yourself an AR pattern rifle/carbine.

In looking around, I found this site that shows some of the bushmaster configs that are "ban legal".

http://www.nioa.net.au/cat_restricted_items/bm1.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post

I would like to build a 16" CAR style rifle, mainly with A2 options. The problem is that NJ still has its assault weapons ban or sorts going on. This is a list of what can't be part of the rifle:

- No folding/collapsible stocks
    - No high capacity mags (15 rounds max.)
    - No flash suppressor (what is difference between this an muzzle brake?)
    - No bayonet lug
    - Barrel minimum of 16"
    - Can't say AR15 on the rifle. (pretty dumb huh?)
    Man, And I thought Maryland was a SuckAss state to live in, I suppose moving is out of the Question Huh?

Sounds like the Challenge is more in Building an AR15 that meets NJ Law than it is in just building an AR.

I think a CAR15 style is probably out of the question, But you might get something close enough that you can be Happy with it.

Good Luck
    TJ
    Recoil Happens

Thanks for the help Hozen, I was able to find that Del-Ton offers uppers that have the option to have no flash suppressor, so that should work. I forget now how it was, but I got a PM from another NJ resident that mentioned buying a kit first, and then fixing it to be legal and then assembling the lower and such. By doing this, I could technically get a bayo lug on the rifle and just take it off somehow - I'll try and find out if that is technically possible, in the mean time, does anyone know if Del-Ton kits come with bayo lugs?

-Moose

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

(Lycoming County)

You can get a muzzle break instead of a flash supressor. Also make sure there is no bayonet lug.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

deffinatly don't go with an olympic lower, some of them have a tendency to go full auto after some use... cool but not worth it

Take the bayo lug off with a dremel or a hand grinder. Walt at Hackettstown Guns & Ammo has 15 round mags also arms and ammo in south jersey has them.
    Pin the muzzle brake and fill it in with a mig welder and grind it smooth so its hard to see.
    PM me your zip and if your not to far I have a welder

Hey Moose,

Here is my 2 cents. Generally until everything is assembled they do not constitute a firearm and therefore the individual parts are legal. Double check first but this is how it is my neck of the woods. Here the lower is considered the firearm.

So if your upper assembly has A2 front site has a bayonet lug you could hack saw it off during the assembly stage and be perfectly legal.

The same goes for magazines we have a max of 5 rds per magazine for rifles and max of 10 rds for pistols. Pinned magazines are common and as long as the pinning is done in a permanent way ( ie you need a tool to undo the pinning ) you would be good to good. This is usually a rivet set along the spine of the magazine.

Good luck with your build and post lots of pictures of your progress.

Sabre

Its a different world here in new jerky if you have the parts and the receiver in the same location you have a firearm.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast