Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flintlock?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Flintlock?

So i need to start this by saying that i not sure if this is the right place to post this thread so mods please move if it is necessary?

I am a huge hunter and have decided i want to start hunting in muzzleloader season and want a flintlock so i can hunt all the seasons.

I am also a college student so money is a big object i need advice on a inexpensive flintlock i have looked at the traditions one and i like them.

I have little expierence with black powder have shot some friends and once had a cap and ball revolver. but just need some suggestions for a inexpensive Flintlock? any advice?

Thanks in Advance!

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Flintlock?

I beleive the traditions guns are reasonably priced.

Most muzzle loaders are WAY cheaper than breach loaders due to simplicity. It depends also it you want something more "traditional" or something with a synthetic stock and fiber optic sights.

Also remember there's alot of paraphanalia that goes along with muzzle loading. You'll need powder, patches, ball starter, cleaning jags, flints, and a whole bunch of little stuff you never even think of.

Also if you use traditonal black powder you'll have to clean it after shooting or you'll have rust problems. Also, remember you have to keep it clean, keep your pan dry, and keep the flint adjusted properly or it won't go bang everytime you pull the trigger.

I'm glad you want to buy a flintlock. They're really cool. It's a totally different kind of shooting though.

(Butler County)

Mine is a CVA

I don't know much about traditions flintlocks. The ones I looked at had synthetic stocks and were OK, but plasticy. They don't feel the same as wood.

Also, don't be aftaid to look at classified sections, or post a WTB. You might get a really good deal on a great gun that's been sitting in someones gun safe for the past 20 years.

Oh, and whatever you do don't buy the flints that come in the packages in the store. Give me your adress and I'll send you a whole freaking handfull of flints.

I also live next to a trading post who specializes in muzzleloaders. I can try to stop in and see what he has. He might have something really cool for cheap.

(Allegheny County)

I don't own a Traditions, but I have heard their quality is questionable, at best. I would look for a used T/C Hawken or a used Lyman (any Lyman model). These rifles are much better than Traditions from what I hear from friends who REALLY REALLY know flintlocks. I built a Lyman kit and it turned out very nice. A kit is a less expensive way to get a really good rifle, provided you have some basic tools and basic knowledge. The Lyman kits are great because they're pre-inlet and only require minor work to get all of the parts to fit properly. I would recommend a kit or a used T/C or Lyman. If going the used rifle route, though, you have to CAREFULLY inspect the inside of the barrel for rust. You'll need a bore light and some cleaning patches to inspect the barrel. DO NOT buy a used flintlock from someone who is trying to rush you into buying. There is probably something they're trying to hide. If you have any questions, PM me. I was in your boat not too long ago and got some good advice from some very knowledgeable friends.

(Allegheny County)

Is that Cooperstown Trading Post you're referring to, P-11?

I've heard they've got a nice selection and decent prices, but I haven't made it there yet.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeM31 View Post
    Is that Cooperstown Trading Post you're referring to, P-11?

I've heard they've got a nice selection and decent prices, but I haven't made it there yet.
    Sure is.

They've got all kinds of good stuff, but you never know when he's going to be open. His hours are really weird.

(Westmoreland County)

I noticed your in Butler county i go to Slippery Rock which is not that far from butler where is this trading post?

and honestly if its not the best quality its kinda ok cause this has to only last until i can save up for a few years and buy a kit i wanna build i have the tools and knowledge but at school i dont have the place or time.

(Allegheny County)

If you've got a car at your disposal, do yourself a favor and check out Sportsman's Supply. Its in Butler County as well. They've got a good selection of ML's and the best prices I've found on accessories. The guys there are a good bunch from what I've seen I would guess they'll do their best to help you out. Thats where I buy all of my black powder. Its the cheapest I found without buying in bulk.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff4570 View Post
    I noticed your in Butler county i go to Slippery Rock which is not that far from butler where is this trading post?

and honestly if its not the best quality its kinda ok cause this has to only last until i can save up for a few years and buy a kit i wanna build i have the tools and knowledge but at school i dont have the place or time.
    If you take rt. 8 south past Butler it's right off of 228 east.

I agree, that you should look for a used gun, or buy a kit. Don't let the fact that you're short on time or tools scare you away.

I have both, and could help you put it together. We can get it to a functonal stage with very little finishing to the wood, just protectant. Then later when you have the time and inclination you could finish the stock to perfection.

I actually would love to help out. Building a muzzle loader could be fun.

I'll check out the trading post and see when he's open and I'll send you a PM with his hours.

Or check out sportsmans warehouse like said earlier. I might be driving past it tomorrow. If so I'll stop in and see what they have. I need some more carry ammo anyway.

Also, right near the trading post is a peice of privete property that's closer to you than any public ranges that I know of. PM me and we'll blow off some rounds. I used to date a slipery rock girl. It ain't that far

(Lebanon County)

look for a used thompson center hawkens.
    they have made millions of them. normally any shop should have one or two used models around.
    two bills or less would be fair.
    their locks are about the best in "stock class". they are also pretty easy to tweak.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast