Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default South Dakota Passes Constitutional Carry, New Governor Noem Signs Bill

South Dakota Passes Constitutional Carry, New Governor Noem Signs Bill

Arizona*-(Ammoland.com)- – On January 31, 2019, Governor Kristi Noem signed her first bill into law. The bill was SB47, South Dakota Constitutional Carry.*From sd.gov:

Governor Kristi Noem today signed her first bill into law. SB47, which Noem signed today, will further protect the Second Amendment rights of South Dakotans by allowing constitutional carry. The bill will go into effect July 1, 2019.

“More than 230 years ago, the Founding Fathers of our country penned the Constitution that has since laid the framework for centuries of policies. They so firmly believed in the importance of the freedom to bear arms that they enshrined it into the Constitution’s Second Amendment,” said Noem. “This constitutional carry legislation will further protect the Second Amendment rights of South Dakotans.”

The bill passed extremely rapidly. I was impressed. The South Dakota legislature kept their word. Governor Noem kept her word.*Bill SB 47passed on 22 January, 2019, in the Senate.*From argusleader.com:

PIERRE — A bill allowing people to carry concealed handguns without a permit has passed the South Dakota Senate.

Senate Bill 47 will now go to the South Dakota House for consideration after the Senate passed the measure, sometimes called “constitutional carry,” in a 23-11 vote after an hour of debate on Tuesday afternoon.

The South Dakota House passed SB47 on*29 January, 2019, 47 to 23.

The bill appears to be straightforward,**repealing sections of*South Dakota law.

Here is one of*the sections repealed:

22-14-9. Carrying concealed pistol or revolver without a permit–Misdemeanor. Any person, other than a law enforcement officer as defined in § 22-1-2 acting under color of authority, who:

(1) Carries a pistol or revolver, loaded or unloaded, concealed on or about his or her person without a permit as provided in chapter 23-7; or
    (2) Carries a pistol or revolver, loaded or unloaded, concealed in any vehicle while operating the vehicle, without a permit as provided in chapter 23-7; is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The current South Dakota permit system, with a base permit and an enhanced permit, will remain in place.* It simply will not be illegal for people to carry openly or concealed without a permit. Minors will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian if they are carrying concealed.

South Dakota is a strongly conservative state. I expected it to pass Constitutional Carry years ago.

Constitutional Carry is a reform and repeal of gun laws restrictions. The reform and repeals*approximate the level of restrictions in place when the Bill of Rights was adopted in 1791.

South Dakota passed Constitutional Carry more than once. Popular Republican Governor Dennis Daugaard vetoed a Constitutional Carry more than once. He vetoed a Constitutional Carry bill on March 17, 2017.

Governor Daugaard*vetoed his first Constitutional Carry bill*in 2012.* In between, Daugaard was certain to lobby against Constitutional carry, and get it*killed with legislative manuevers. Governors do not like to veto popular bills. It makes them look bad. Legislators do not like to override vetoes of governors of their party. Governor Daugaard seems to have had a phobia against Constitutional Carry.

South Dakota is now the 14th State to pass Constitutional Carry.

Oklahoma is the next state most likely to join the list.* Governor Fallin vetoed*Constitutional Carry in Oklahoma in 2018, on May 11th. Oklahoma has a new governor.

The Oklahoma legislature need only look to South Dakota for success.

http://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/sout...#axzz5f9VM9z9y
    "If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target"

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: South Dakota Passes Constitutional Carry, New Governor Noem Signs Bill

So if I am reading this story correctly.
    South Dakota has not really passed Constitutional Carry.
    Only one branch of their state government has approved it.
    Am I understanding this correctly ?

Even if my understanding is correct. HURRAY !
    --ET

(Delaware County)

Default Re: South Dakota Passes Constitutional Carry, New Governor Noem Signs Bill

Hmm, maybe I'll move back to Rapid City. Love it there....three out of the four seasons!
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

No. It was signed into law by the governor. Apparently South Dakota will continue issuing permits, much like Maine, which I assume is primarily for residents who go to and carry in other states.

(Carbon County)

the Oklahoma house just passed a similar bill this past week

has not been signed yet
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    So if I am reading this story correctly.
    South Dakota has not really passed Constitutional Carry.
    Only one branch of their state government has approved it.
    Am I understanding this correctly ?

Even if my understanding is correct. HURRAY !

From the article:
    "A bill allowing people to carry concealed handguns without a permit has passed the South Dakota Senate"
    "The South Dakota House passed SB47 on*29 January, 2019, 47 to 23."
    Then, as the first line of the article says "On January 31, 2019, Governor Kristi Noem signed her first bill into law."
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

SD also allows atvs to be treated as motorcycles and for them to be street legal.

And its gorgeous!

The wife and I may be looking into moving there when it's time to buy a house next year. It's on our short list if we decided to leave PA.

If NJ ever passed a law like that, hell would indeed be freezing over.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Hmm, maybe I'll move back to Rapid City. Love it there....three out of the four seasons!
    Winter time is the worst. Grew up on a farm in central SD, so coveralls and layers of clothing were your best friend. Was no big deal as a youngster, but not now. Getting old and less tollerant.
    "If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target"