Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Background Check Fee?

Update - I stopped by the LGS yesterday. I assumed that the gun I was looking at was in stock because it was on their website, but it turns out they have to order it. My price will be the price listed on the website (about 5 percent below MSRP) plus sales tax and $5 for the instacheck. Seems reasonable to me, so I will go ahead with the purchase. No additional fees for shipping or inflated instacheck. I'll update this thread when I receive it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1255 View Post
    Update - I stopped by the LGS yesterday. I assumed that the gun I was looking at was in stock because it was on their website, but it turns out they have to order it. My price will be the price listed on the website (about 5 percent below MSRP) plus sales tax and $5 for the instacheck. Seems reasonable to me, so I will go ahead with the purchase. No additional fees for shipping or inflated instacheck. I'll update this thread when I receive it.
    I’ve seen a couple local places do this, their website has a store on it that shows everything they can order for you. I like it. You can get exactly what you want without the hassle of having another store ship it to them and then having you pay a high transfer fee.

I always haggle for an out the door price.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    I always haggle for an out the door price.
    Why should you haggle? I ask up front if I am going to pay an extra fee. If the answer is yes, even five bucks more, I just walk away. Why I buy most everything online. Gallery of Guns, Kentucky Gun, Buds. I even picked up a nice revolver from a Butler LGS on Gunbroker that beat everyone else's price, even with a shipping fee, and my 20 buck transfer fee, which includes the PICS charge. The FFL I use in Erie doesn't sell guns, so he doesn't care what I buy. Walker Precision, if you are near Erie, on Bud's preferred list.

(Chester County)

Another update - I picked up the gun yesterday. The total was the advertised price plus sales tax and $5 for the instacheck. In all, it cost me 12% more than if I had bought it at a gun show. I'm always leery of buying new guns at a show because I have seen obviously used guns being sold as new. Just because you still have the box does not make it a new gun! Plus of course the fact that you are pretty much on your own if the gun has issues because the actual dealer is usually over a hundred miles away or out of state. In all, I am very happy with the purchase.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234