Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Background Check Fee?

Don't know where else to ask this question. Some dealers charge for a background check, some don't. How much does it cost them, if anything?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Background Check Fee?

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1255 View Post
    Don't know where else to ask this question. Some dealers charge for a background check, some don't. How much does it cost them, if anything?
    Off the top of my head, it is like $2 for the call and $3 for each firearm, thus $5 for one, $8 for two, $11 for three, etc etc.

PSP says: List the Surcharge amount ($3.00) and PICS background check fee ($2.00) on the Surcharge Remittance form. Do not add sales tax to these amounts.

Part of the joy of being a FFL.
    https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-info...-SP4-134A.aspx
    https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-info...nce%20Form.pdf
    Last edited by gghbi; February 8th, 2019 at 06:39 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Montgomery County)

This might sound ridiculous to some, but I won't buy a gun from a shop that charges over $30. Or even do a transfer there.

If I'm dropping several hundred on a gun (and likely buying ammo and other goodies too) and then you wanna charge a bullshit $40 or 50$ fee on top? Fuck you. I'll take my money elsewhere.

If a shop needs to charge that much on a few for a gun they are selling "to keep the lights on", then as far as I'm concerned they deserve to fold.

(Wyoming County)

IMHO they all charge it - some just don't itemize it on the receipt. It's built into the price of the gun.

PICS = $2 per transaction. You buy 20 guns on 1 visit it's still $2.

There is also a surcharge on a gun that you buy from the Dealer inventory of $3 per gun.

Typically if you buy 1 gun it's a $5 event. This does not apply to transfers in which case it's only a $2 PICS fee.

If you are referring to having an FFL do a transfer and pay $30 total, that usually includes the $2 PICS. The rest is payment for his/her job.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

They get charged $ 2,I pay the LGS $ 5,fair. I was charged $ 50 once I went over 75 miles to a LGS after doing the transfer he said $ 50 ! Seller already was paid and I had no recourse to do anything about it.I did let other members know about the exhorbitant rip off i was dealt and would never recommend that shop again. Caveat Empor ( Let the buyer beware )

(Berks County)

Since the dealer sets the price and there seems to be a pretty big variation in what each charges it would be best to call first. If it's a third party transfer I also verify that an FFL will be on duty at the time I intend to make the trade.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Thanks for the replies! This would be from a LGS. I guess I should call them beforehand to ask what their fee is. If it's more than about $5, I will go elsewhere and let them know why. I totally agree that adding a $20 or more fee when they are already making money is BS. I don't think I've ever been charged a fee at all when I bought a gun from a dealer or shop.

(Mercer County)

Most stores have tiered prices, ie $5 for buying a gun from their inventory, (some include in tag price would not show on your receipt, others charge separate, others charge more), next tier is private transfer between two people in their store, I have been charged from 10-35 for this. Next tier is to receive a firearm for you from online seller, these I have paid 35-50.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    They get charged $ 2,I pay the LGS $ 5,fair. I was charged $ 50 once I went over 75 miles to a LGS after doing the transfer he said $ 50 ! Seller already was paid and I had no recourse to do anything about it.I did let other members know about the exhorbitant rip off i was dealt and would never recommend that shop again. Caveat Empor ( Let the buyer beware )
    Names. or it never happened.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1255 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! This would be from a LGS. I guess I should call them beforehand to ask what their fee is. If it's more than about $5, I will go elsewhere and let them know why. I totally agree that adding a $20 or more fee when they are already making money is BS. I don't think I've ever been charged a fee at all when I bought a gun from a dealer or shop.
    Hold on there.

There's a buncha cost associated in having a warm body supervise yo ass filling out forms in a manner that doesn't get the LGS shut down by officer Friendly at the BATFE.
    If you can run a store with semi-trained help on a counter for less than than $35-40 an hour (COST - NOT SALARY) I will be amazed.

$20 is the minimum I would expect.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast