Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern Tier, Pennsylvania
    (McKean County)
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,465
    Rep Power
    21474856

    Default Re: Background Check Fee?

    Yup all different.

    Personally $10 is my cut off for in shop purchases. At one time many shops didn't charge anything for direct purchases, but it's becoming rare.
    Out of shop transfers can be just about anything. I find $20-$25 reasonable.
    Last edited by God's Country; February 9th, 2019 at 08:48 AM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,668
    Rep Power
    21474867

    Default Re: Background Check Fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Hold on there.

    There's a buncha cost associated in having a warm body supervise yo ass filling out forms in a manner that doesn't get the LGS shut down by officer Friendly at the BATFE.
    If you can run a store with semi-trained help on a counter for less than than $35-40 an hour (COST - NOT SALARY) I will be amazed.

    $20 is the minimum I would expect.
    It has been a while since my last transfer, but our local shop charges(or charged) $15.90($15 + $0.90 tax).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    _, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    2619000

    Default Re: Background Check Fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Hold on there.

    There's a buncha cost associated in having a warm body supervise yo ass filling out forms in a manner that doesn't get the LGS shut down by officer Friendly at the BATFE.
    If you can run a store with semi-trained help on a counter for less than than $35-40 an hour (COST - NOT SALARY) I will be amazed.

    $20 is the minimum I would expect.
    Thank you for injecting some common sense in the discussion.

    BTW, my FFL (JMB Guns) charges $15, but he is home-based. Running an LGS isn’t exactly cost-free.
    Last edited by Mike_Golf; February 11th, 2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: FFL name

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    warminster, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Background Check Fee?

    the lgs I frequent charges 10 if I buy in house. I have heard some people here lambaste them for this. first off, if the prices are reasonable (in these guys case...outstanding), big deal...still cheaper than the next guy by 75 bucks? spend the ten, and shut the pie hole. they have to pay the guy waiting fir my pics to come back, and wait on the next guy at the same time.

    25 out of house transfer? around here? where?
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Upper Bucks, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    1,457
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Background Check Fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    the lgs I frequent charges 10 if I buy in house. I have heard some people here lambaste them for this. first off, if the prices are reasonable (in these guys case...outstanding), big deal...still cheaper than the next guy by 75 bucks? spend the ten, and shut the pie hole. they have to pay the guy waiting fir my pics to come back, and wait on the next guy at the same time.

    25 out of house transfer? around here? where?
    Wellington sporting goods charges $20

    Donlleys $25

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southwest, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Posts
    1,727
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Background Check Fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Hold on there.

    There's a buncha cost associated in having a warm body supervise yo ass filling out forms in a manner that doesn't get the LGS shut down by officer Friendly at the BATFE.
    If you can run a store with semi-trained help on a counter for less than than $35-40 an hour (COST - NOT SALARY) I will be amazed.

    $20 is the minimum I would expect.
    It is dishonest to advertise the firearm at a lower price and then charge 'fees' that don't really exist. If an LGS is charging a PICS fee higher than the $5 they actually pay, I'm asking for it to be waived or I'm walking out. I don't care if its a quarter.

    The honest way to run your business is to adjust the advertised price to cover your expenses, then people know what they are paying. Total cost should be advertised price plus actual PICS charge plus tax. Period.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NEPA, Pennsylvania
    (Wyoming County)
    Posts
    1,667
    Rep Power
    21474843

    Default Re: Background Check Fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It has been a while since my last transfer, but our local shop charges(or charged) $15.90($15 + $0.90 tax).
    Transfers are non-taxable if you care

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    POCONO MOUNTAINS, PENNSYLVANIA, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,776
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Background Check Fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Names. or it never happened.
    Over 9 years ago,dont remember the name of the LGS but somewhere between Downingtown and down towards Philly. You dont have to believe me just take it as my experience !

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    lewistown, Pennsylvania
    (Mifflin County)
    Posts
    416
    Rep Power
    9193017

    Default Re: Background Check Fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    It is dishonest to advertise the firearm at a lower price and then charge 'fees' that don't really exist. If an LGS is charging a PICS fee higher than the $5 they actually pay, I'm asking for it to be waived or I'm walking out. I don't care if its a quarter.

    The honest way to run your business is to adjust the advertised price to cover your expenses, then people know what they are paying. Total cost should be advertised price plus actual PICS charge plus tax. Period.
    I agree . I am far more likely to be a repeat customer to an honest shop , post the prices with no add ons.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,431
    Rep Power
    3435988

    Default Re: Background Check Fee?

    Eastern Arms in Albrightsville charged me $20, which was probably the cheapest I have experienced. Tanners was 30, but I was coming from New Jersey and I have heard that New Jersey tends to charge more. Yes...it was a long gun!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Background Check Fee?
    By LineWalker in forum General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: December 9th, 2015, 10:31 PM
  2. 25$ background check?
    By The Unknown 1087 in forum General
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: February 24th, 2012, 02:04 PM
  3. Background Check
    By mister215 in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 4th, 2010, 10:43 PM
  4. Background check
    By Fraggle09027 in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 28th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops