Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Background Check Fee?

Yup all different.

Personally $10 is my cut off for in shop purchases. At one time many shops didn't charge anything for direct purchases, but it's becoming rare.
    Out of shop transfers can be just about anything. I find $20-$25 reasonable.
    Last edited by God's Country; February 9th, 2019 at 08:48 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Hold on there.

There's a buncha cost associated in having a warm body supervise yo ass filling out forms in a manner that doesn't get the LGS shut down by officer Friendly at the BATFE.
    If you can run a store with semi-trained help on a counter for less than than $35-40 an hour (COST - NOT SALARY) I will be amazed.

$20 is the minimum I would expect.
    It has been a while since my last transfer, but our local shop charges(or charged) $15.90($15 + $0.90 tax).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Hold on there.

There's a buncha cost associated in having a warm body supervise yo ass filling out forms in a manner that doesn't get the LGS shut down by officer Friendly at the BATFE.
    If you can run a store with semi-trained help on a counter for less than than $35-40 an hour (COST - NOT SALARY) I will be amazed.

Thank you for injecting some common sense in the discussion.

BTW, my FFL (JMB Guns) charges $15, but he is home-based. Running an LGS isn’t exactly cost-free.
    Last edited by Mike_Golf; February 11th, 2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: FFL name

(Bucks County)

the lgs I frequent charges 10 if I buy in house. I have heard some people here lambaste them for this. first off, if the prices are reasonable (in these guys case...outstanding), big deal...still cheaper than the next guy by 75 bucks? spend the ten, and shut the pie hole. they have to pay the guy waiting fir my pics to come back, and wait on the next guy at the same time.

25 out of house transfer? around here? where?
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    the lgs I frequent charges 10 if I buy in house. I have heard some people here lambaste them for this. first off, if the prices are reasonable (in these guys case...outstanding), big deal...still cheaper than the next guy by 75 bucks? spend the ten, and shut the pie hole. they have to pay the guy waiting fir my pics to come back, and wait on the next guy at the same time.

25 out of house transfer? around here? where?
    Wellington sporting goods charges $20

Donlleys $25

(Washington County)

Hold on there.

It is dishonest to advertise the firearm at a lower price and then charge 'fees' that don't really exist. If an LGS is charging a PICS fee higher than the $5 they actually pay, I'm asking for it to be waived or I'm walking out. I don't care if its a quarter.

The honest way to run your business is to adjust the advertised price to cover your expenses, then people know what they are paying. Total cost should be advertised price plus actual PICS charge plus tax. Period.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It has been a while since my last transfer, but our local shop charges(or charged) $15.90($15 + $0.90 tax).
    Transfers are non-taxable if you care
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Names. or it never happened.
    Over 9 years ago,dont remember the name of the LGS but somewhere between Downingtown and down towards Philly. You dont have to believe me just take it as my experience !

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    It is dishonest to advertise the firearm at a lower price and then charge 'fees' that don't really exist. If an LGS is charging a PICS fee higher than the $5 they actually pay, I'm asking for it to be waived or I'm walking out. I don't care if its a quarter.

The honest way to run your business is to adjust the advertised price to cover your expenses, then people know what they are paying. Total cost should be advertised price plus actual PICS charge plus tax. Period.
    I agree . I am far more likely to be a repeat customer to an honest shop , post the prices with no add ons.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Eastern Arms in Albrightsville charged me $20, which was probably the cheapest I have experienced. Tanners was 30, but I was coming from New Jersey and I have heard that New Jersey tends to charge more. Yes...it was a long gun!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast