Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default No guns for Hispanics?

You can't buy a gun from an FFL without completing a 4473. You can be prosecuted for any incorrect statements on the 4473.

You are required to answer BOTH 10a and 10b on the 4473. For me, it's easy; I'm not Hispanic (10a) and I'm white (10b).

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/44...53009/download

What if you ARE Hispanic? OK, you answer 10a "Hispanic or Latino". So far, so good.

Then you ALSO MUST ANSWER 10b. Your choices are:
    - American Indian or Alaska Native
    - Asian
    - Black or African American
    - Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
    - White

There's no "brown" option in there. None of those choices are legally accurate for our Hispanic/Latino protagonist, but you MUST pick one or more. Those are the instructions and current ATF policy.

My guess is that if you select both "white" and "black", you end up with a mix roughly equal to "brown".
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

Default Re: No guns for Hispanics?

IIRC I have asked an Hispanic what they put in that spot and got 'white' as the answer. Another one is the Asian category. Indians from over there mark 'Asian' for that. They don't quite come to mind when I picture an Asian.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

I was born in Cuba, 100% "Hispanic" and 100% white.

In Cuba, you are white, black, mulatto (mix white and black), or mestizo (mix indigenous "Indian" & white - very few in Cuba). There are also some Cubans who are from Asian descent - Chinese workers came to Cuba too.

Other "Hispanic" countries may vary...
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Schuylkill County)

Not sure if you are being sarcastic.
    Brown is not a race. White is Caucasian, Black is Negroid. I guess their should be a selection for "mixed". But Obama just picked one so I assume others can self identify.

(Wyoming County)

Frankly anymore they should just stop asking race & gender questions

Elizabeth Warren proves that
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Paging Aggies Coach...
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Chester County)

Who cares about race/ethnicity questions? IIRC, there are only two gender options - M & F! What about all of the other genders?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    Who cares about race/ethnicity questions? IIRC, there are only two gender options - M & F! What about all of the other genders?
    that was planned properly to avoid the obvious ones with mental health issues

Here's why it's important: This form is routinely used to criminally prosecute people who make mistakes in answering, often in good faith. People who never served a day in jail figure that they haven't been convicted of a crime punishable by more than 1 year; if they dig deeper, they see that "crime punishable by more than one year" doesn't mean what those words mean, it excludes all state misdemeanors unless punishable by more than 2 years, not 1.

So someone gets to question 10b and realizes, "I guess I'm just supposed to wing it here." That sends the wrong message about the minefield that the form really is, it's deadly dangerous, so it shouldn't include anything that suggests "any answer is probably acceptable".

How does the govt argue to a jury that this form is something where only a criminal would get an answer wrong? You can't have a form which includes ambiguous questions that can't be answered with certainty, and then also nit-pick and demand that non-lawyers correctly provide LEGAL CONCLUSIONS about incidents in their past? Remember, this is a form INTENDED to be completed by people standing at a gun counter, who probably didn't save their legal files, much less bring them along.

I've said before, this form is designed to be a trap, even if it just tracks the statutes. The law (and the form) should prohibit people who have served some minimum sentence, not people convicted under a statute which includes a maximum sentence which was never relevant to the defendant. Make it prohibiting to have served a year or more, or 6 months or more; that's at least a "fact" question, not a legal question. We're asking laymen for a legal analysis of an old statute, when we should be asking a fact question like "were you ever put in a prison cell for X months or more?"

The Hispanic issue is a symptom of a govt choosing to be adversarial to the sovereign citizens.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

Puerto Ricans shouldn't have guns anyway.

Theyre way too too emotional, and they do enough damage with knives as it is.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast