Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    for a while after i got my vp9 it wouldn't lock back on last round. turns out my thumb was riding the lever and the slide wasn't catching.
    obviously have to rack in that situation. lots of reasons to rack.
    I'm working that same thing out right now on mine, I didn't know if it's a faulty mag or my thumb doing it. My next plan of action was to pull the offending mag aside and inspect it, I'll pay more attention to my thumb position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    My simple reasons to rack it - load from an empty gun (rack it) reload from an empty gun (rack it) malfunction (rack it) same same
    I hear what you're saying but I have no trouble transitioning from one to the other for the proper function. Same as I can hop out of a trailer truck to a straight truck and not even think about which way to turn the wheel when backing.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm working that same thing out right now on mine, I didn't know if it's a faulty mag or my thumb doing it. My next plan of action was to pull the offending mag aside and inspect it, I'll pay more attention to my thumb position.

I hear what you're saying but I have no trouble transitioning from one to the other for the proper function. Same as I can hop out of a trailer truck to a straight truck and not even think about which way to turn the wheel when backing.
    Ok you got me there - I just can’t get backing up with a trailer to be instinctive . But then again I don’t do this maneuver nearly enough for it to become like a muscle memory

(Blair County)

And if you find that insufficient, here's a follow-up.

Attachment 114970
    I dont trust ze german propaganda....
    interesting though.

load a few rounds, fire from a thumbs up or knuckle over position. more than likely it is your thumb hitting the release bar.
    mine was doing it even on +p and with any magazine plus it was intermittent.
    so i changed my grip to see and it's certainly an issue with my thumb. still working around it, maybe HK makes a little bar for the left side.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Slid...-379p16787.htm
    for $10 could probably buy one and shorten the release tab.
    https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/cata...9sk-vp40-2.jpg
    cut it down in width to the beefy metal part and it'd probably be no smaller than the nub on my keltec P11
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I usually rack it for a few reasons, most of my guns have been smaller concealed carry guns with smaller slide locks/releases so it's easy for me to just grab the whole slide. The second reason is I'm in the habit of racking because that's also how you clear a malfunction, my head is always there when I've got to get a round in the chamber. Finally I don't 100% trust the empty mag hold open feature. The only reason we are having this conversation is because of a little metal tab has got to catch a little plastic nub on the mag follower, seems like a tenuous thing to train for, I've had that little nub break off or wear on a few mags.
    That said, if you give me an AR15 I hit the bolt release almost exclusively.
    Mags were always intended to be disposable items and should be considered as wear parts that require more frequent inspection. If your followers are good and your grip is right assuming you do not have bear paws then your slide lock/release will function.

This is another reason why I personally stick to Glocks or would recommend other very common pistols from manufacturers who produce abundant affordable mags where you can get rebuild parts quickly and cheaply.

Malfunction cleaning is always going to require racking the slide so it's a God habit to keep us all the time for muscle memory.

It's all depends on your skill set and personal experience in the end, and like John said in the video neither are going to get you killed in the street so it's do what you like.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Ok you got me there - I just can’t get backing up with a trailer to be instinctive . But then again I don’t do this maneuver nearly enough for it to become like a muscle memory
    easy cheat .. put you hand at the dead bottom of the steering wheel.. want the trailer to go one way, move hand/wheel that way

Used to teach drivers in the military.. when it came to trailers those with problems usually had their hands above the 9 or 3 position.. teach them the cheat and they could do it..
    Of course some folks can't drive worth a crap going forward, and you can never teach them to back a trailer.

military short cargo trailers (for light trucks) and those stupid, short landscaping trailers are a PIA because they react SOOO fast
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    easy cheat .. put you hand at the dead bottom of the steering wheel.. want the trailer to go one way, move hand/wheel that way

Used to teach drivers in the military.. when it came to trailers those with problems usually had their hands above the 9 or 3 position.. teach them the cheat and they could do it..
    Of course some folks can't drive worth a crap going forward, and you can never teach them to back a trailer.

military short cargo trailers (for light trucks) and those stupid, short landscaping trailers are a PIA because they react SOOO fast
    I remembered having your hand at the bottom but couldn’t remember exactly why! Yes short harbor freight trailer base for kayaks canoes but a homemade tongue extension and bolts welded but doesnt really change it’s shortness much. Now our 12 ft and 10 enclosed trailers I only drive in a forward motion - any maneuvering is on my husband for those.

(Delaware County)

We had a driver's rodeo at my unit. One of the events was backing a jeep and trailer through a cone slalom without looking over your shoulder - only mirrors and grounds guide. My ground guide couldn't keep up with me. I finished in less than half the time of the next best driver.

My first towing experience at 18-19 years old had been pulling a Harley Servi-car with a tow bar - two pivot points, the hitch ball and the steering head of the trike. A single pivot point between the jeep and trailer was a snap after that. And I never did the hand at 6 o'clock thing

Tru dat, relatively speaking...

I'm a rack fan.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Allegheny County)

Ok something I'm not sure if it was mentioned here so if it has, sorry for this post
    Contrary to my way of reloading a firearm - in the video "how to shoot like John Wick" an interesting point was made in favoring the slide release operation to reload. In some firearms ie M&P9 if you slam it home with enough force, the slide can shoot forward on its own. If that happens and you aren't in tune, by racking the slide you now expel a cartridge out of the chamber, loading the next one.

At a Poofa shoot, that happened to me with my S&W M&P9mm, and the person timing me was befuddled with what i did, as was I. I felt foolish as if i had done something seriously wrong and dangerous.
    I just didn't understand how i racked out a round. It took another day of shooting that this happened for me to realize what happened that day at the shoot.

So, if this was a self defense situation and you have a firearm that has the ability to do this (not sure if all do or not though) then the slide lock (hitting it by ones muscle memory, after that kind of automatic reload) will do nothing (literally) to jeopardize the amount of rounds you have in your firearm to shoot. If you follow me...... hope i explained that.

just another perspective, i didn't think about.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast