Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm working with 2 H&K's a VP9, which is a midsize and a USP9C, which is a compact and I just find it much easier to just press down with my thumb. I agree it's a chickenshit argument and I'm more concerned with what other personal preferences he would try to impart on me as 'this is how it is to be done'. I had that bad with a flight instructor so it bothers me more than it might other people.
    Same here which is why all my defensive pistols sport a Vickers extended slide release and the entry level competition pistol I decided on (TP9 SFX) already comes with one, and that pistol is way over sprung from the factory. If I were in a class where the instructor offered an opposing view I would take his advise for what it is give it a shot but if I liked my way better for small tasks, and I still get the job done correctly (as long as it's in a safe way) I am going to keep doing it my preferred way. If it comes down to where they guy is standing over my shoulder wrapping my knuckles or giving me constant verbal correction for something that's a matter of choice then we are going to have a conversation. I didn't enlist for this instruction I enrolled and paid so there is a big difference as far as I am concerned.

I would ask him so when I take a class from a guy like LAV or John Lovell and they teach slide release or are at least fine with it then do I then switch for that day or argue why they are wrong? It's an impossible question to answer and in the end it would be no different then me pushing a specific band of brand of boot over all other boots, not because one it superior to the other but because I have an abnormally shaped foot and the one I like seems to comfort me more.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 7th, 2019 at 04:03 PM.

(Bucks County)

Get dressed, put iwb holster on, get gun, drop the mag and rack it to make sure it's clear. Dry fire, insert mag, rack it and I'm good until the end of the day when I reverse the process. Current EDC is a P365.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I forgot to mention - it keeps it a consistent action as yes different firearms have them in slightly different spaces. Racking is the same maneuver no matter which firearm - even one you may pickup in a gunfight.
    Just a couple of my own opinions:

1. Nobody in bum fuck PA is picking up a gun in a gunfight.

2. If your fine motor skills were an issue, you wouldn't be able to pull the trigger either.

Practice whatever method you like about 10k times and I guarantee you will be able to do it on demand in any situation. Draws and reloads will end up being a subconscious action with enough practice. If you still have to think about how to draw or reload you will screw it up under pressure. These things should just happen on demand. If they don't, you need to practice more. People the play the piano aren't looking where the keys are or they wouldn't be able to play. Same thing with shooting.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

[QUOTE=Yoder;3934948]Just a couple of my own opinions:

1. Nobody in bum fuck PA is picking up a gun in a gunfight.

To that I might add
    1. The gun I pick up could be my disabled partner’s gun that I am not familiar enough with or a friends.
    2.I wear my seatbelt every time - never know when shit may hit the fan
    3. some of us travel often out of state - not just bumfuck PA
    - New York State, Baltimore, Toronto and other states - some carrying/some you cannot ....where there just might be an oh shit moment and the Opportunity to pick up someone’s gun - I know anything can happen out there Times have changed.
    And I want to hope I can keep my head about me and do my best to protect myself and loved ones.
    Last edited by Just1more; February 7th, 2019 at 06:11 PM.

(Bucks County)

I rack...personal preference.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

Rack it?

nice!.jpg
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

My LCP I need to rack it or else the round gets hung up on the ramp if I use slide release. Not sure why? Anyone else have this issue with the older LCPs
    ΑΣΦ

(Susquehanna County)

According to the NYS DEC and State Police Academies the best way is to rack the slide because using the slide release requires "fine motor skills" which might not be working well in high stress situations.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

At the risk of making a gay argument, using the off hand thumb to actuate the slide release is a gross motor movement- look it up.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

I'm a slide racker. It works on any semi that I may be carrying. It works if I am doing non-dominant side work. It works if I am doing one handed work from either side. It works if my hand is wet, snowy, muddy, bloody or gloved. I have been training that way for twenty years.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast