Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

I understand, I have heard guys say that this has happened before, I'm thinking with H&K's.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Ok something I'm not sure if it was mentioned here so if it has, sorry for this post
    Contrary to my way of reloading a firearm - in the video "how to shoot like John Wick" an interesting point was made in favoring the slide release operation to reload. In some firearms ie M&P9 if you slam it home with enough force, the slide can shoot forward on its own. If that happens and you aren't in tune, by racking the slide you now expel a cartridge out of the chamber, loading the next one.

At a Poofa shoot, that happened to me with my S&W M&P9mm, and the person timing me was befuddled with what i did, as was I. I felt foolish as if i had done something seriously wrong and dangerous.
    I just didn't understand how i racked out a round. It took another day of shooting that this happened for me to realize what happened that day at the shoot.

So, if this was a self defense situation and you have a firearm that has the ability to do this (not sure if all do or not though) then the slide lock (hitting it by ones muscle memory, after that kind of automatic reload) will do nothing (literally) to jeopardize the amount of rounds you have in your firearm to shoot. If you follow me...... hope i explained that.

just another perspective, i didn't think about.
    That was a defect in the original M&P pistols which some people for some reason like. It’s been resolved in the 2.0 series of pistols from what I have seen and been told.

Some people have reported it in Glocks but I could never reproduce it in Gen 3 or 4 19’s or 17’s. If it starts to happen in a pistol it’s never done it in I would look to do some maintenance.

Or maybe some people have to stop slamming the crap out of their mags into their pistol?
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 13th, 2019 at 04:40 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I understand, I have heard guys say that this has happened before, I'm thinking with H&K's.
    Not possible. They're even more perfecter than Glocks.

(Allegheny County)

I seem to recall it happened to one of my glocks also - either the 19 or 17 gen 4 I refuse to baby my guns, if i can't slam it in then it doesn't deserve to be a gun. I am not that strong to begin with.

(Allegheny County)

Heres a different question for the slide lock releasers - How do you bring your slide back into battery when finished shooting?

I would think using the slide lock in this situation would not be good for the gun. Too much force slamming it forward with no round being fed into the chamber.?

Heres a different question for the slide lock releasers - How do you bring your slide back into battery when finished shooting?

I would think using the slide lock in this situation would not be good for the gun. Too much force slamming it forward with no round being fed into the chamber.?
    As opposed to dropping the mag and slingshotting the slide closed on an empty chamber?

I fail to see any difference in generated force or why either would cause any damage to the chamber or any other part in a modern striker or hammer fired pistol.

Thousands and thousands of repetitions and resets for dryfiring practice and no damage that I have ever seen on my own pistols or heard of from others.

I’m sure some use snap caps but I would bet most don’t who do it daily and for any amount of time.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 13th, 2019 at 05:45 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    As opposed to dropping the mag and slingshotting the slide closed on an empty chamber?

I fail to see any difference in generated force or why either would cause any damage to the chamber or any other part in a modern striker or hammer fired pistol.

Thousands and thousands of repetitions and resets for dryfiring practice and no damage that I have ever seen on my own pistols or heard of from others.

I’m sure some use snap caps but I would bet most don’t who do it daily and for any amount of time.
    It's very hard to know what's myth and what's not when it comes to most anything including guns. I read about sear/trigger concerns doing that but i am not a gunsmith thus i don't know exactly how the innards of the gun work and what can cause issues and what is normal and expected during manipulation. Just as dry firing - some say don't - use snaps and others say no worries fire away (just make sure the gun is unloaded and a safe direction) its pretty complicated so i just do what i decide is best in my opinion.

Unless it’s a Rim fire dry fire is safe as well as racking your pistol on an empty chamber.

Manufacturers have machines that auto rack hand guns thousands of times non stop to simulate use for break in before they are packaged and shipped.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Unless it’s a Rim fire dry fire is safe as well as racking your pistol on an empty chamber.

Manufacturers have machines that auto rack hand guns thousands of times non stop to simulate use for break in before they are packaged and shipped.
    I was told most modern rimfires can be dry fired now ahhhhhh my head hurts !!!! that the rimfire firing pin doesn't ping the barrel i need a drink !!

(Berks County)

I always just use the slide release and I don't see a round in the mag creating a whole lot of drag to the point that doing so would make a difference to the gun.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast