Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I was told most modern rimfires can be dry fired now ahhhhhh my head hurts !!!! that the rimfire firing pin doesn't ping the barrel i need a drink !!
    Some can and some shouldn’t be you have to check for that specific pistol or rifle.

(Bucks County)

Heres a different question for the slide lock releasers - How do you bring your slide back into battery when finished shooting?

That depends on if it's got a magazine in it or not.

I would think using the slide lock in this situation would not be good for the gun. Too much force slamming it forward with no round being fed into the chamber.?
    I wouldn't. What Hodgie said.

I'm not a slide releaser or a slingshoter. I am a gun enthusiast who uses both methods but prefers to use the slide lock/release, over pulling back on the slide or the bolt.

Like I said, it varies by the gun.

1911, Hi power, CZ, some Sigs, yes.

Ruger MKII, Glock, XD, Kel-tec pocket pistols, no.

Some don't have one, so gee I don't know about those.

I can't see how mechanically operating the slide release, would cause any more wear than firing it would. Nor do I think the slide slams home any harder, than it does when shooting or racking it.

Same thing goes for rifles. M1A is not one which I often use the release but with AR's, pretty much exclusively.

Do what works best for you. That's what I've always done.

If I happen to disagree with your choices, it is not a personal affront to your intelligence, your trainers, or your operator status.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I wouldn't. What Hodgie said.

I'm not a slide releaser or a slingshoter. I am a gun enthusiast who uses both methods but prefers to use the slide lock/release, over pulling back on the slide or the bolt.

Like I said, it varies by the gun.

1911, Hi power, CZ, some Sigs, yes.

Ruger MKII, Glock, XD, Kel-tec pocket pistols, no.

Some don't have one, so gee I don't know about those.

I can't see how mechanically operating the slide release, would cause any more wear than firing it would. Nor do I think the slide slams home any harder, than it does when shooting or racking it.

Same thing goes for rifles. M1A is not one which I often use the release but with AR's, pretty much exclusively.

Do what works best for you. That's what I've always done.

If I happen to disagree with your choices, it is not a personal affront to your intelligence, your trainers, or your operator status.
    I dont take offense to ones choices. It’s just that I hear, read and am told and taught different methods and was curious what others do and why or why not. It’s strictly my curiosity how others run their guns. And yes we all have our ways and that is our personal decision.

I will say that I have changed my thoughts and ways on doing things depending on what I learn on this journey. I am never closed minded unless it pertains to safety. And someone’s lack of practicing it

as i understand it, most of these high end manufacturers will take your worn out gun and replace any needed parts/test it and send it back either free or with a nominal bill...

why people worried about wearing new tools out?
    not an 1885 piece.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

My strategy is always to Keep It Simple, Stupid. That's why I always rack the slide - it works with any handgun. Rifles too. I use the charging handle instead of the bolt catch. It also works if you're loading an empty gun when the slide or bolt is already forward.

It's also the same action that's used to clear a malfunction.

So that's my rationale. One action fits all - pistols, rifles, striker-fired, DA/SA, slide forward, slide back, slide catch or no slide catch, left-handed gun, clearing malfunctions, whatever. It's consistent. I really don't care what anyone else does, but I'd hope that everyone else has their own well-thought-out rationale instead of doing things willy-nilly or blindly trusting someone else.

(Allegheny County)

Oddly enough on my AR I use the slide lock lever. That’s how I started so that’s how I do it. But that’s the only one - probably because there is no slide On my ruger mark IIIs I have to pinch the bolt which I dislike.

(Butler County)

Oddly enough on my AR I use the slide lock lever. That’s how I started so that’s how I do it. But that’s the only one - probably because there is no slide On my ruger mark IIIs I have to pinch the bolt which I dislike.
    I originally did use the bolt catch, but I decided to change after taking a couple of classes and after switching to BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handles. It doesn't work as well with a standard charging handle.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I originally did use the bolt catch, but I decided to change after taking a couple of classes and after switching to BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handles. It doesn't work as well with a standard charging handle.
    Did you put that on your 6920? Why do they teach using the charge handle? Curious as I really don’t know

(Butler County)

Did you put that on your 6920? Why do they teach using the charge handle? Curious as I really don’t know
    Yes, I put the BCM charging handles on all of mine. I've seen it both ways in classes. It does compress the spring more, it works on both an open and a closed bolt, and it's the same action to clear a malfunction. But it is slower.

(Allegheny County)

I called it a slide lock (-: Must be tired ! So you obviously prefer them. I need to check it out online

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast