Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Real operator at 2:40 using slide lock thingy

Much younger more recent real operator using that thing too with lighting speed at 21:05 taking one of the hardest courses there currently is.

Most people won't ever send enough rounds down range or train to the level of someone who was Delta. More importantly, most people won't ever be inoculated to life and death stress like someone who was Delta either. If using a slide stop lever works for you, great. I won't poo poo anyone who does. It isn't for everyone. Speed isn't the factor for me. Using an overhand rack if far better for the majority of people in a critical incident in my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Most people won't ever send enough rounds down range or train to the level of someone who was Delta. More importantly, most people won't ever be inoculated to life and death stress like someone who was Delta either. If using a slide stop lever works for you, great. I won't poo poo anyone who does. It isn't for everyone. Speed isn't the factor for me. Using an overhand rack if far better for the majority of people in a critical incident in my opinion though.
    Most people won't ever have to ever reload their gun anywhere but on the range or in their bedroom period so all of this is for personal betterment and in all odds nothing more. 5 of the 6 guys I posted took the knowledge they learned via our tax dollars and have adapted it to training the Law enforcement and civilian world so while they were delta or seals they know they are dealing with civilians in most cases and train accordingly. The 2nd video in your cut and copy is of John taking the ECQC course that is for civilians designed by a retired narcotics police officer. In a real gun fight speed and accuracy is everything delta operator or local truck driver so what ever your method if you have to reload you better be faster then the other guy or carry a big ass magazine because your already in a really bad situation if it's come to this many rounds.

From the start I said either way is correct it comes down to comfort and knowing your skills, limitations, and weapon. Anyone who tells you differently is a moron regardless of the level of shooter they are. I've seen all the guys in the videos I posted do it both ways for different reasons and different weapons they all have a preference but aren't married to one.

Me personally for defensive shooting I have trained for exactly this, close, accurate and fast. I have no fantasies of diving, running, or seeking cover or making that 50 yard pistol shot because if I can do that there isn't much need for me to be exchanging rounds with someone. I carry a single stack pistol appendix and won't be changing that unless it's a SHTF scenario and again that's most likely just another fantasy I don't train for. I view other methods of carry especially pocket or off body in a purse like my wife does as a complete waste because it deviates from my above personal goals, but that's another useless argument based on personal preference for another day.

Just make sure you know you're limits, gear and make sure it's properly maintained regardless of your preferred method and safely dry practice for at least 5 or 10 minutes every day and your already ahead of the game.

Last edited by Hodgie; February 8th, 2019 at 02:36 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I'll just throw my 2 cents in.
    Most civilians carrying are under trained compared to active/retired police/military.
    There is also a much larger spectrum of poor physical fitness capability in the civilian carry community.
    So find the one method that works best for your capabilities and limitations, and train that way exclusively to keep yourself as sharp as possible.
    This will give the average person the best chance of surviving a real life civilian gunfight.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Too many folks don't learn how to properly rack a slide. The pistol should be brought in close to the body from a shooting position. I always use the pickle jar analogy. If you are having trouble opening a jar of pickles, would you attempt to open it with both of your arms extended? No, you bring it in close to your chest. The hand on the grip of the pistol should do all the work. The other hand should overhand grip the slide and apply nothing but a squeeze of the hand. The hand and arm holding the pistol literally punch outward. The hand with the overhand grip has no choice in the matter and will allow the pistol to exit heading toward the target. If need be, firing can commence one handed before regaining a two handed grip. I have shown this method to people with arthritis and small stature women who insisted that they couldn't do it and it works.
    I wasn't saying people not having strength to rack the slide. I was saying there is a risk that your slide gripping fingers are riding the slide on its way forward from slide lock, which is a risk of messing up whether you grab it fully extended or push pull or whatever method you choose to rack the slide. Slide release is the closest guarantee to consistent slide velocity.

Anyways, my point wasn't that was that was why you shouldn't rack the slide from slide lock. It was that it was one of the potential negatives of doing that, which mainly stems from not practicing (as you had suggested). The main negatives of the slide release techniques also stem from not practicing. The point is, whatever you choose to do, PRACTICE it.

Except for relying on inertia from magazine insertion, that is not valid technique. No one should be relying on luck to get their gun working. Don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I'll just throw my 2 cents in.
    Most civilians carrying are under trained compared to active/retired police/military.
    There is also a much larger spectrum of poor physical fitness capability in the civilian carry community.
    So find the one method that works best for your capabilities and limitations, and train that way exclusively to keep yourself as sharp as possible.
    This will give the average person the best chance of surviving a real life civilian gunfight.

You ain't kidding brother. Unfortunately and not by my own choice I'm headed down that path. Never thought at 41 I would have a Cane in my left hand and a Glock in my right.

I owe you a pm by the way my friend.

I hate that most people giving advice and talking shit about not being able to manipulate the slide stop/release hardly ever shoot their guns. I don't train for self defense, but I shoot competitions. I shoot on average 10k rounds of 9mm a year. I practice and dry fire all the time. Trust me, I will have no problem reloading my gun under stress. Why? It is a subconscious action to reload my gun. When it goes to slide lock, the mag is immediately coming out of the gun and my hand is going for a second mag. Another reason I'm not concerned is I never carry a spare mag. I will NEVER be in a gun fight. I may have to defend myself but let's be real. Nobody is getting in an extended gunfight in the civilian world. Shit isn't going to hit the fan and the zombies aren't coming. All of you couch ninjas need to relax.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I wasn't saying people not having strength to rack the slide. I was saying there is a risk that your slide gripping fingers are riding the slide on its way forward from slide lock, which is a risk of messing up whether you grab it fully extended or push pull or whatever method you choose to rack the slide. Slide release is the closest guarantee to consistent slide velocity.

Anyways, my point wasn't that was that was why you shouldn't rack the slide from slide lock. It was that it was one of the potential negatives of doing that, which mainly stems from not practicing (as you had suggested). The main negatives of the slide release techniques also stem from not practicing. The point is, whatever you choose to do, PRACTICE it.

Except for relying on inertia from magazine insertion, that is not valid technique. No one should be relying on luck to get their gun working. Don't do that.
    When I rack the slide, I keep pulling back until my hand comes off the gun and hits myself in the chest. This ensures that I've pulled the slide all the way back and I'm not riding it going forward.

And I ALWAYS rack the slide. That way, it doesn't matter which gun I'm using - that works for everything.

You do you. Me, I transitioned from slide release to slingshot a long time back, as it's the same across all semi-autos, even if it's "slower" for the screaming eagles out there.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

i try to slam the mag, the pistol releases it's own slide. if not i'll rack it because manipulating a finger out of position to hit the release bar is tedious.
    if i don't hear it, i rack it.

my first handgun had a little nub release, uncomfortable and hard to hit even at the range, no choice but to rack. my new handgun has ambi-bars but releases when you slam the mag in with gusto.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    The moral of my story besides late night boredom is if anyone tells you there is only one correct way to drop the slide after a reload then they are full of shit and might not be worth listening to especially if your paying.
    This is what I was thinking, particularly when combined with a couple of other things but I wanted to hear from others. This is a great place for information on things like this...and a lot of other things too.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast