Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

So a question to those who do not like or agree with the "rack" technique to get the gun into battery - how do you load a round into the chamber from an empty gun that has the slide in the forward position?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    My LCP I need to rack it or else the round gets hung up on the ramp if I use slide release. Not sure why? Anyone else have this issue with the older LCPs
    1. Polish the feed ramp.

2. Use round nose FMJ.

3. Check the tension and drag on the lips of your mags. Adjust as needed.

I have a Keltec P32 and I did a "fluff and buff" on it and it runs perfect 100% of the time. I run both FMJ Round nose and Critical Defense hollow points.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    When I rack the slide, I keep pulling back until my hand comes off the gun and hits myself in the chest. This ensures that I've pulled the slide all the way back and I'm not riding it going forward.

And I ALWAYS rack the slide. That way, it doesn't matter which gun I'm using - that works for everything.
    And this is the only way that I have been taught by every instructor.
    As an overview, these trainers do this for a living.
    They train people who dont know what they dont know through different depts of law enforcement and in some cases, military.

Every gun, every time.
    Full rearward extension of the slide. Just like Scruff described. That will.give you the most consistent stripping of a round and chambering.

Just another question.
    Those of you who use the slide stop as a release, have you been instructed this manner by the people who trained you or has this been a self taught method?

If a trainer instructed you to do this, have your other instructors taught the same method?
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Practice both ways,and also disabled arm/hand racking slide on pockets and what ever is available,that it why I have steel sights on my Glocks.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Those of you who use the slide stop as a release, have you been instructed this manner by the people who trained you or has this been a self taught method?

If a trainer instructed you to do this, have your other instructors taught the same method?
    At least for 1911s, USGI field manual FM23-35, page 11, section IV, paragraph 12 (Method of Operation) states: "A fully loaded magazine is placed in the receiver and the slide drawn fully back and released, thus bringing the first cartridge into the chamber. If the slide is open push down on the slide stop to let the slide go forward."

I point that out only to show that it's probably been taught to a lot of people for the past 80 years, not that there aren't improvements made in the way things are done.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    And this is the only way that I have been taught by every instructor.
    As an overview, these trainers do this for a living.
    They train people who dont know what they dont know through different depts of law enforcement and in some cases, military.

Every gun, every time.
    Full rearward extension of the slide. Just like Scruff described. That will.give you the most consistent stripping of a round and chambering.

Just another question.

It's something that my father taught me when I was just a little nipper and .32 was the biggest thing he would let me shoot and I have used that method all my life. The idea of racking with the left hand was all new to me. I don't own a litany of weapons but none of those that I own have failed me using the slide release. This is the first instructor I ever had so I have nothing to compare it to and that is the reason for posing the question to you folks here. My H&K manual says that it's users choice and the release is very conveniently located. As to whether it's a 'slide lock' or a 'slide release', I would call the part in the rail a lock and the thumb lever a release.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I appreciate it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

LOTS of different instructors over the last 30+ years for me. Different instructors taught different methods - over the top, sling shot, and slide release lever.

Its up to the user - to decide what is best for him or her. As long as one knows the pros and cons to the different methods, and decides which method works best for him or her with the weapon system that they have decided on using for themselves. And for the purpose that they are using it for.

I always get a kick when someone, anyone really; says "This is the way", nope, "This is a way" or "This is one way to do it".

Same thing with Tactical Reloads, over the years I've learned 4 different methods from again, different instructors/schools/etc... I use one method, my wife uses another one. When we teach, we show the different methods, point out the strengths and weaknesses of each and let the user decide.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Washington County)

I have shot 1,000's of rounds out of my factory Glock 17 Gen3 by using the Slide Release, never had trouble and have never changed a part on the entire gun. My recent upgrade purchase to a Glock 17 Gen5 will receive the same punishment.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    LOTS of different instructors over the last 30+ years for me. Different instructors taught different methods - over the top, sling shot, and slide release lever.

Its up to the user - to decide what is best for him or her. As long as one knows the pros and cons to the different methods, and decides which method works best for him or her with the weapon system that they have decided on using for themselves. And for the purpose that they are using it for.

I always get a kick when someone, anyone really; says "This is the way", nope, "This is a way" or "This is one way to do it".

Same thing with Tactical Reloads, over the years I've learned 4 different methods from again, different instructors/schools/etc... I use one method, my wife uses another one. When we teach, we show the different methods, point out the strengths and weaknesses of each and let the user decide.

Me too, as soon as someone says "The right way..." I stop listening.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Chester County)

What do you do if your gun doesn't have a slide release? Do you still use the slide release?

Last edited by JenniferG; February 8th, 2019 at 03:44 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast