Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 142
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glockin, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    2,231
    Rep Power
    16809479

    Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

    Rack it. I'm a lefty so it's not really by choice on most pistols.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    857
    Rep Power
    6009456

    Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

    For me its rack it over the top (as apposed to the sling shot method - but that will work too). Main reason commonality of training. I load my gun, unload my gun, reload my gun, and clear a malfunction with the same method.

    Also as an instructor for a PD that issued SIGs, we taught the rack it method - over the top or sling shot, because of the two levers on the SIG pistols sides. There were instances when a shooter would attempt to release the slide by using the slide lock lever and instead hit the decock lever resulting in nothing happening.

    When I teach defensive pistol classes, I will show and demonstrate all three, slide release, sling shot, and over the top. I will explain the pros & cons of each and let the student decide what to use for themselves.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NEPA, Pennsylvania
    (Wyoming County)
    Posts
    1,599
    Rep Power
    21474842

    Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

    It doesn't hurt for everybody to consider these things and realize their own limitations.

    If it comes down to milliseconds in a gun fight and I'm going up against the Sundance Kid or Jerry Miculek - I'm going to lose. It's as simple as that. I don't practice for speed.

    My life's experiences have taught me that when I get rushed - I fuck up, but I don't place that limitation on others, which I think Reid addressed nicely in his video. When I use a gun with a manual safety I have forgotten to disengage it. But if you consider the advancements made to firearms, I'm pretty sure if gunfighters/soldiers could reload black powder muzzleloaders under stress then I can reload a modern day semi-automatic. But you will never see me using a shot timer. That's just me

    I have a favorite movie quote by Gene Hackman in the movie "Unforgiven" when he's talking about gun fighting with the book writer-
    Little Bill Daggett : Look son, being a good shot, being quick with a pistol, that don't do no harm, but it don't mean much next to being cool-headed. A man who will keep his head and not get rattled under fire, like as not, he'll kill ya.

    W.W. Beauchamp : But if the other fella is quicker, and fires first...

    Little Bill Daggett : Then he'll be hurrying, and he'll miss. Look here...

    [stands and draws his gun]

    Little Bill Daggett : That's about as fast as I can draw, and aim, and hit anything more than ten feet away... 'less it's a barn.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    altoona, Pennsylvania
    (Blair County)
    Posts
    1,704
    Rep Power
    1226993

    Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    My buddy's trying to tell me that the one and only way to reload the semi-auto pistol is to seat the new, loaded mag and rack the slide. I have historically just hit the slide release with my thumb after reloading it and all of my pieces slam closed with more than enough force to seat the round and I like being able to do it one handed. Is one way any better than the other?
    That is a slide lock. There technically is no slide release. to save wear you should pull the slide back and let it go into battery. Turning the slide lock down to release the slide causes wear since there is pressure on the metal that you are turning. Also you arent getting the full force of the spring.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    2,370
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    For me its rack it over the top (as apposed to the sling shot method - but that will work too). Main reason commonality of training. I load my gun, unload my gun, reload my gun, and clear a malfunction with the same method.

    Also as an instructor for a PD that issued SIGs, we taught the rack it method - over the top or sling shot, because of the two levers on the SIG pistols sides. There were instances when a shooter would attempt to release the slide by using the slide lock lever and instead hit the decock lever resulting in nothing happening.

    When I teach defensive pistol classes, I will show and demonstrate all three, slide release, sling shot, and over the top. I will explain the pros & cons of each and let the student decide what to use for themselves.
    And that brings up yet another thought...he also forbids the sling-shot method and I couldn't understand that either. For me full hand over the slide is not the fastest or easiest with my equipment, in fact I find it cumbersome for some reason and my slide release is right there and I have practiced with it so I know how hard I have to press to work it. His reasoning was that the extra spring that's left behind by using the slide release could cause a round to not feed.
    If it ain't broke it ain't mine.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On top of a hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,725
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    And that brings up yet another thought...he also forbids the sling-shot method and I couldn't understand that either. For me full hand over the slide is not the fastest or easiest with my equipment, in fact I find it cumbersome for some reason and my slide release is right there and I have practiced with it so I know how hard I have to press to work it. His reasoning was that the extra spring that's left behind by using the slide release could cause a round to not feed.
    What kind of pistol are you using? As far as full hand over slide itís a fine method for some people but Iíve also seen many a beginner catch their hand in the ejection port on a closing slide or the material from a gloved hand.

    At 41 years old Iím not interested in anyoneís absolutes especially when you have what I consider true ďgun fightersĒ laughing at these ridiculous arguments.

    I try never to pigeon hole myself into one way of thinking or doing something if possible. If thereís more then one way to skin a cat then Iím going to try and learn them all and apply each when required.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 7th, 2019 at 02:17 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On top of a hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,725
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    That is a slide lock. There technically is no slide release. to save wear you should pull the slide back and let it go into battery. Turning the slide lock down to release the slide causes wear since there is pressure on the metal that you are turning. Also you arent getting the full force of the spring.
    Ever try that with a standard Beretta 92 an end up with your safety engaged? Oops!

    Itís just as much a release as it is a lock and a standard wear part that can be easily and cheaply replaced typically after 10ís of thousands of rounds on a quality pistol. Thereís a reason why manufacturers are making them ambidextrous and extended.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    2,370
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    What kind of pistol are you using? As far as full hand over slide it’s a fine method for some people but I’ve also seen many a beginner catch their hand in the ejection port on a closing slide or the material from a gloved hand.

    At 41 years old I’m not interested in anyone’s absolutes especially when you have what I consider true “gun fighters” laughing at these ridiculous arguments.

    I try never to pigeon hole myself into one way of thinking or doing something if possible. If there’s more then one way to skin a cat then I’m going to try and learn them all and apply when required.
    I'm working with 2 H&K's a VP9, which is a midsize and a USP9C, which is a compact and I just find it much easier to just press down with my thumb. I agree it's a chickenshit argument and I'm more concerned with what other personal preferences he would try to impart on me as 'this is how it is to be done'. I had that bad with a flight instructor so it bothers me more than it might other people.
    If it ain't broke it ain't mine.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    2,370
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    That is a slide lock. There technically is no slide release. to save wear you should pull the slide back and let it go into battery. Turning the slide lock down to release the slide causes wear since there is pressure on the metal that you are turning. Also you arent getting the full force of the spring.
    Well...my H&K owner's manual says otherwise and if you felt the wrath of my spring as the battery drives home you might feel differently, that extra 1/4" of travel isn't going to make much difference.
    If it ain't broke it ain't mine.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    5,283
    Rep Power
    13642872

    Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

    I'm also a lefty, so I don't have much of a choice on most semi's. However, my Ruger Mark IV Target Pistol has an extended slide release that I use my trigger finger to operate.
    Toujours prÍt

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 24th, 2017, 12:32 PM
  2. Slide Release?
    By BandanaBandit1 in forum General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2011, 10:32 PM
  3. Rack my slide please...
    By matty70 in forum General
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: July 27th, 2009, 09:20 PM
  4. Can't rack that slide
    By MostlyHarmless in forum General
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops