Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Slide Release or Rack It?

I forgot to mention - it keeps it a consistent action as yes different firearms have them in slightly different spaces. Racking is the same maneuver no matter which firearm - even one you may pickup in a gunfight.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    All nines here in semi's. I could see wear on the part being an issue and hadn't considered a panic situation, good thing to think about. I am programmed to use the slide release with no thought involved. My H&K manual deems it user preference and it's right there at my thumb on them. My Sig P-210-6 has the slide release placed pretty much out of play and cumbersome to use for that purpose but it's not a carry piece.
    I was being sarcastic I do both methods, and I don't put too much stock in the motor skills argument.

I agree with this guy at 1:30 mark

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Whichever way you do it, consistency is probably the key so you have some muscle memory in times of stress. I use the slide release personally so as not to get into the habit of riding the slide forward (that tends to cause issues with compact 1911s I shoot frequently).

(Allegheny County)

I’ve personally been in a dangerous situation and yes my fine motor skills went out the window
    You don’t know what you don’t know.
    Easy to dismiss that important point until it happens to you !!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I rack it. A Glock rep said the slide stops on Gen 1s we’re not meant to send the slide forward. On (at least) the Gen 3 and newer, you can use it to send your slide forward.
    My Glocks are all gen3 and newer. That said, I can't say I've noted a distinct difference between slide stops on gen2 vs gen3... they're the same gun except for finger grooves, dust cover rail and an additional pin because .40.

And, Google search suggests that you can use the same part in gen1-4.

Anyways, my answer to this question depends on the firearm and how easy it is to grab the lever. I do either depending.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I’ve personally been in a dangerous situation and yes my fine motor skills went out the window
    You don’t know what you don’t know.
    Easy to dismiss that important point until it happens to you !!!
    Thumbing down the slide stop with the off hand is a gross motor movement (as opposed to fine) and not likely to degrade under stress.
    Like the thumb lock on a 1911- a gross motor movement vs. a slide mounted decocker, ala S&W or Beretta 92- a fine motor movement.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Larry Vickers is a slide release guy and Kyle Lamb racks the entire slide both are former Delta force both have seen combat and both are still alive.

I think the gun community needs to move on from this unless your choice of pistol is missing a slide release/lock, then my advise would be to get a better pistol unless your using a revolver.

Gay argument list:
    .AR vs AK
    .M-lock vs Key mod
    .45 acp vs the world
    .slide stop vs slide rack

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Larry Vickers is a slide release guy and Kyle Lamb racks the entire slide both are former Delta force both have seen combat and both are still alive.

I think the gun community needs to move on from this unless your choice of pistol is missing a slide release/lock, then my advise would be to get a better pistol unless your using a revolver.

Gay argument list:
    .AR vs AK
    .M-lock vs Key mod
    .45 acp vs the world
    .slide stop vs slide rack
    Actually I lied a little...it wasn't a friend who tried selling me on this...it was an instructor and I wanted to pose the question in a way that would get me unbiased answers. An instructor who I found another discrepancy or two in what he had to say. I found similar characteristics in some flight instructors where they try telling me that their personal preferences should be my way of life, I remove them from the equation. Thanks to all who responded, carry on!
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Yes we have have our opinions - this is going the way of the Poofa hat thread.
    Do whatever you want to do is the final answer ....

(Susquehanna County)

If I had a Glock I might baby it and be afraid to use it like it was designed (Tongue in cheek, don't get yer panties in a wad yinz Glockers)

Usually the slide release for muscle memory and that is how we were taught in the miltiary..
    IF.. yes IF the release were to round and give issues I would replace it and keep doing it this way.

Now if I were a competitive shooter going through hundreds of magazines a year.. maybe rack it to save the slide release
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast