Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cz Shadow 2

(Allegheny County)

Default Cz Shadow 2

I have a question regarding the 2 cocked positions of the cz shadow 2

I understand fully cocked and locked but what is the half cock purpose for ? I get if you want to decock to the gun the half cock - to keep the hammer from slamming down and firing the gun. But .... I dont really understand that. As a revolver (at least mine) doesn’t have 2 cocked Positions. You just carefully lower the hammer fully.

Cz says not to decock to half cock and put the safety on as it can damage the sear if you pull the trigger (I believe that’s the damaging action). says you can carry at half cock but with no safety - but why would one do that anyways ? Wouldn’t one just carry fully cocked and locked (safety on)

This has me confused as to why the 2 cocked positions
    I want to fully understand the nice handgun.

If anyone has a better explanation for me, I be happy to hear it.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Cz Shadow 2

The CZ's are safely carried on the half cock notch, and all their decocker pistols decock to the half cock notch. It gives you a shorter trigger reach, and slightly easier trigger pull from the half cock. If you pull the trigger at the half cock notch the hammer comes back to full cock, so it isn't a problem. I carry ally my CZ's on the half cock notch.

(Allegheny County)

So you do not engage the safety as I was told not to?
    Thanks. I didn’t even think about the easier closer trigger pull advantage when half cocked .
    Last edited by Just1more; February 6th, 2019 at 09:49 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Using the Decocker essentially puts the pistol into DA mode. Many feel it's safe to carry pistols and revolvers with that additional precaution over SA.

If the manufacturer says engaging the safety in that condition can damage the sear, you are running that risk by engaging the safety in that condition.

The other alternative is to carry with a full mag, none in the chamber.

(Allegheny County)

I won’t carry this gun as too big and heavy but i do want to fully understand it’s functions.

So would fully decocking this gun and putting the safety on be ok? Would the sear still be a. Concern ?
    Thank you for the helpful responses. Much appreciated !

I can’t put the safety on my Cz75B when decocked so that one must be fully cocked to lock.
    Last edited by Just1more; February 6th, 2019 at 09:59 PM.

(Bucks County)

Reading the manual without handling the pistol myself prevents me from being certain about what follows here.

Apparently, there is no decocker lever on this pistol - the lever is a "safety".

The recommendation not to engage the safety while the hammer is at the safety notch is quite clear. Damage to the trigger mechanism can occur if the trigger is then pulled or if the hammer is manually fully cocked. An "alternate method" is provided . . .

From the manual:

"Load the pistol. Grasp the grip, POINT IN A SAFE DIRECTION. With a thumb press onthe grooved area (thumb piece) of the hammer, pull the trigger and release the hammer slowly forward (Fig. 6) until it rests on the action or safety notch of the hammer. Release the trigger.Practise this operation very carefully to avoid an accidental discharge! We stronglyrecommend to practise this operation beforehand with the pistol unloaded!"

Apparently, it's a "manual decocking to the safety notch". If done this way . . . and fully releasing the trigger only AFTER the hammer reaches the notch . . . damage to the trigger assembly can be avoided.

That's how I would interpret the instructions. FWIW, I wouldn't be using the Safety while the hammer is at or is going to move to the safety notch. But that's just me.

Maybe the safety is effective while the hammer is in the other 2 positions. ETA: Otherwise, it's not much of a safety lol.

(Montgomery County)

I don't know about the shadow 2, but I've never had any issues with my Cz75 clones. I'm able to half cock,and throw the safety on, you can't manipulate the hammer with the safety engaged but as soon as you flip it off you can pull the trigger or pull the hammer back the rest of the way. Hammer all the way down or hammer half cocked both gives you a much longer and harder trigger pull. I'm gunna use some random numbers but picture it like this, trigger pull hammer all the way back 3.5lbs, trigger pull half cocked 7lbs, trigger pull no cocked 14lbs.
    That's where the DA/SA comes from.

But yea from my experience there is no issues carrying half cocked or no cocked with the safety on, just don't try manipulating the hammer or pulling the trigger without turning off the safety as the safety locks them both in place.

(Montgomery County)

I carry my cz clones, half cocked with a round in the chamber with the safety on.

It has a simple and intuitive manual of arms(handling) sweeping the easy to use safety down is part of my draw, although if a really sketchy situation is presenting I'll flip off the safety while in the holster.

I prefer half cocked with safety, no worries of bump fires on hammer strikes at half cock if the gun would ever hit the ground, and I want that long firm trigger pull if I ever need to pull my gun like that. A fully cocked cz trigger under stress is damn near a hair trigger to me. Lol

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Thanks. I didn’t even think about the easier closer trigger pull advantage when half cocked .
    NO, you can not, nor do not try to engage the safety at Half Cock. As others have said, you are in Double Action mode as if the hammer were fully down. It just shortens initial trigger reach, and trigger pull at half cock. The pistol can be carried at FULL cock, and locked with the safety like a 1911.

CZ's can not engage the safety at half cock. Some of the clones it sound like you can do that, although I do not have any, and don't know from personal experience.

(Allegheny County)

Appreciate all the feedback.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast