Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Rifle Shipping Costs

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I'm not the expert here and I hope someone will be along to clarify or correct what I'm about to say if I get it wrong.

As I understand it- There is no legal requirement to have a FFL involved if you are shipping to yourself (other than what shippers may require as SOP).

You can ARRANGE to ship somewhere addressed to yourself with instructions that it not be opened (*There is no transfer). If you don't have a friend to ship to then you may have to make arrangements with a FFL with the same instructions.
    This is what has me thinking that I can address my rifle to myself, in care of the resident at the address I ship it to, and have it adult signature required.

Just don't wanna break rules
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    My rifle without a case is close to 50in long so already in the oversize case, which AA charges $200 for one way...
    WOW!! That's crazy $200 each way with same airline too. I can't tell you what size his case was but I'm guessing it must have been smaller. Do you know what the cutoff size limit is? I know he had a full size rifle (Sig Sauer M400) and it also had mags and ammo in the case.

At $400 I understand why your looking to ship … Good luck.
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything

(Centre County)

By federal regulation you CAN ship a long gun to yourself. You can ship it USPS in your name to the address where you are going to pick it up. The person(s) at the address CANNOT open the package. I've sent a rifle to Phoenix, AZ package weighing 11lbs 6oz, insured for $1400 by USPS Priority Mail, signature required and it cost $65.00.

I've know people that have sent shotguns to themselves in care of the hotel they were going to be staying at with no problems. They contacted the hotel and arranged everything before hand - had no problems.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by V-MAN View Post
    WOW!! That's crazy $200 each way with same airline too. I can't tell you what size his case was but I'm guessing it must have been smaller. Do you know what the cutoff size limit is? I know he had a full size rifle (Sig Sauer M400) and it also had mags and ammo in the case.

At $400 I understand why your looking to ship … Good luck.
    Yup, its a little crazy. Basically if the W x H x L added up is less than 62in you can check it for free. Once you pass that total, its $200. An AR15 can prob easily be torn down to fit the non over sized checked bag requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    By federal regulation you CAN ship a long gun to yourself. You can ship it USPS in your name to the address where you are going to pick it up. The person(s) at the address CANNOT open the package. I've sent a rifle to Phoenix, AZ package weighing 11lbs 6oz, insured for $1400 by USPS Priority Mail, signature required and it cost $65.00.

I've know people that have sent shotguns to themselves in care of the hotel they were going to be staying at with no problems. They contacted the hotel and arranged everything before hand - had no problems.
    Yea this seems to be my conclusion as well, which is great cause it saves me a lot of hassle and money.

Thanks guys!
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12