I agree the NRA should take more aggressive actions in defending the second amendment here in PA, especially with the Pittsburgh issue on the forefront. I also agree that these trinkets and free gifts they give out as an incentive to join or to renew a membership are a giant waste of money.
However I see another problem that the NRA, GOA or any pro gun right group can’t solve. That is, we need to get more pro second amendment candidates that have a chance to win an election and we need to get them elected.
Everyone complaining about Bob Casey doing a complete 180 on gun rights after Sandy hook, yet he won the 2018 race without even doing much. No one was really excited about the GOP candidate for governor either.
In 2020 there are two positions that up for election on the state level that can affect gun rights. They are the Attorney general and the Auditor general. With all the attention the AG office got with the Catholic church scandal it doesn’t look like we will see a change. As far as the Auditor general, most voters probably don’t even know that position exists.
With weak candidates and gun owner voter apathy what can the NRA or any gun lobby do?