Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Ruger 10/22 keeps jamming

I picked up a Ruger 10/22 .22 Take Down model last weekend. I was shooting some steel on my property yesterday, using CCI .22 ammo and the rifle kept jamming. The ammo will either fail to feed or fail to eject. I noticed when i held the rifle while pressing it into my shoulder to shoot made it better. Anyone know a fix to this?

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 keeps jamming

I think there is a adjustment knob to tighten up the barrel portion to the stock portion,
    just dont over do it.

all 22s tend to get dirty fast,start with a thourough cleaning with Hoppes # 9 .see how that works out .

(Philadelphia County)

(Elk County)

My 10/22 jammed with the ejected casing trapped in the action. It ran find for a year. I do keep my guns well cleaned and oiled. I was using Federal ammo (325 in a box). Tried the ammo in my AR. Same type jam. Switched to Blazer and problem went away. Try changing to Blazer or a hotter ammo. Not sure what CCI's are running as I dont use them...nothing wrong with them I just haven't purchased any. When my 10/22 jammed it caused a feeding problem as the new bullet tried to load but the empty was blocking it. If holding it tighter helps it my be that the ammo is borderline in power to operate the spring. Its worth a shot to try different ammo. My federals are not restricted to bolt action only. Good luck with it and I am sure someone will have the answer for you in here. I am not a gunsmith and dont pretend to be. Lots of good people here with lots of good info.

(Beaver County)

Ever have a piece of spent brass smashed in between the ejection port and bolt while the next round also somehow managed to load into the magazine? Like a double feed, failure to eject clusterfuck. I get those with my PC carbine and I've sent it back to Ruger, they replaced the bolt and ejector, still happens. I wonder if it's got something to do with the barrel tension on that useless fucking takedown feature. It's easier to just put it in a rifle bag assembled AND it seems like that feature may be compromising reliability.

(Northampton County)

I have to agree with the other posters, when my 10-22 take down was new I had similar problems and the accuracy was terrible. After fooling around with things and various trial and errors, it seemed that the barrel adjusting knob has to be just as tight as you can make it. It has to be tight enough where it's tough to put back together after take down. If it's too tight, it won't go back together. Once I figured that out, function was much more reliable and my group size shrunk significantly. Like Buckaroo Bonsai says, "If it's not one thing, It's another"!

Smit

(Wayne County)

Thanks for all the advice I’ll try tightening the screw and see if it gets better. Will report back after next range trip.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    I picked up a Ruger 10/22 .22 Take Down model last weekend. I was shooting some steel on my property yesterday, using CCI .22 ammo and the rifle kept jamming. The ammo will either fail to feed or fail to eject. I noticed when i held the rifle while pressing it into my shoulder to shoot made it better. Anyone know a fix to this?
    Just in case the previous, more intelligent, more likely fixes don't work . . .

This reminds me of what happens when "limp wristing" a pistol. The wrist and pistol's backward motion effectively forces the bolt to travel further backwards . . . or maybe better said, requires more energy to catch up with the pistol's backward motion. If the energy driving the bolt is already somewhat marginal, the result is often FTE and/or FTF.

This may be the cause, or contribute to the problem if for some reason you are often shooting with the rifle away from the shoulder.

(Bucks County)

Also check your recoil spring and guide rod to make sure there are moving freely.