Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: I almost just pulled my gun...

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Why, do you think I acted poorly? Or over-reacted perhaps?
    No. But we are certain to have fun at your expense.

(Bucks County)

^^^ Thread winner!

(Do I have the authority to confer that?)
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

wow, lots of fail in this encounter...

Your first inclination was to draw down on him instead of seeing who it was with your flashlight? Didn't call the cops? What were you gonna do, shoot him for trying to steal your car?

Yeah, you might want to consider some more training on firearm usage and "the aftermath of a self-defense shooting". The meals aren't to good courtesy of the state and your neighbors may want to get into more than your car...

(Beaver County)

did you say "git off my lawn"?

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post

Your first inclination was to draw down on him instead of seeing who it was with your flashlight? Didn't call the cops? What were you gonna do, shoot him for trying to steal your car?

Yeah, you might want to consider some more training on firearm usage and "the aftermath of a self-defense shooting". The meals aren't to good courtesy of the state and your neighbors may want to get into more than your car...
    Where did you see he drew his gun? Placing your hand at the ready under your shirt on a holstered weapon and shouting a command to stop when you know someone should not be there is a far cry from "drawing down on someone".

Over embellish much?

God forbid the OP had an actual weapon mounted light like so many trainers recommend.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 4th, 2019 at 03:38 AM.

(Washington County)

Just some seriously stellar reading comprehension on exhibit in this post... lol.

My first instinct was for my flashlight. My firearm never left the holster. I didn't care about the car, just the advancing stranger.

You can get a ticket for a car running unattended, unless it's a remote start.

(Bucks County)

Wow, lots of fail in this post. Learn to read! Besides, have you never heard of the Tueller Drill? Ive drawn a weapon in defensive display. The entire local police department showed up, and not one of them had anything other than support for my actions, but the other guy got a free ride to ‘who the hell cares where they took him’.

The OP did the right things, in the right order, as evidenced by the facts: he is still breathing, he still has his car, nobody had to bleed.
    You are the one that needs to work on order of battle. It goes like this. Read, engage brain, formulate intelligent response, not, go off, type out a bunch of mean insultive words, then go back and read how many people give you a thumbs-up for being an internet operator. By the way, where are those thumbs-up? Can’t see ‘em from my screen.

I think it is fine that you were ready to draw, but the important part here is that you did *not* because there was no escalation. From what I see, there was no justification for going any farther than you did.

Even if he did not stop and you did draw and he kept walking toward you, you would have had no true justification for shooting, according to PA law. You were not "in" your home or vehicle so Castle Doctrine /stand your ground is not a defense. Further had you shot him, police and/or a jury would have considered whether you had attempted to retreat to safety. By law, in PA, other than in your home or in your vehicle, you are required to retreat if at all possible.

IANAL
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    IANAL, but I don't think deadly force in PA extends to you preventing your vehicle from being stolen.

If you find yourself needing to run the car in the winter to keep it warm, get a remote starter. Moment a foot touches the brake it shuts down.
    My car shuts down the moment you open the door.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast