Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Gun Safe Won't Open

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    The Cannon safes are pretty much the same.. well the new replacement lock is much smaller mounted to sheet metal.. super cheesy looking, but does the job.

There are not that many different lock footprints... just remove the inner door liner and you will see which one you have.. amazingly simple designs

You will also find that the companies that make looks are only a few with multiple names.. Cannon uses a lock by Rotobolt as does Winchester and multiple other companies
    OK, mine is about 2 3/4 x 3 1/4 and I tugged on the wire up top but it didn't want to move so I didn't pull it off.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You'd be surprised how cracked solder and components can work for a while. If the solenoid is a problem, then jiggling the handle shouldn't have fixed anything. A solenoid is just a coil of wire with a moveable ferrous core. The coil is energized and it pulls or pushes the core. There really isn't much that can go wrong with them.
    These locks are so cheap.. They don't use a solenoid.. They use a small electric motor that spins 180 Degrees and the wheel hits a stop and the motor just groans at that stop.. hence the noise when unlocked.
    The cam on the motor has a flat spot that blocks the locking mechanism.
    The safe handle can be spun and the locking mech flips up out of the way
    after a few seconds the power to the motor is cut and a TINY spring spins the wheel back to its start position.
    The safe handle is now spun closed, the locking mech drops back down and the cam on the motor is turned with the TINY spring again blocking the lock.
    The lock Mech has teeth on the back side, as does the channel it sits in.. If force is applied the teeth engage and it cannot be flipped up out of the way.

LAGard.jpg
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Shoot the Server
    Shoot the doorbell
    Shoot the lock

Problens solved.
    Rest assured when the doorbell rang at 3AM, I was in the mood to shoot something.

(Bucks County)

The local locksmith came yesterday and did a terrific job installing a new lock. They even drilled and tapped a hole that wasn't drilled before and may have let the old lock move around. They were excellent and I'd recommend them very highly if you have a need in this part of the state. They are out of Emmaus. The whole problem ended up only costing $124.

(Lehigh County)

Can you share their info. and did that include the replacement lock? Either way, great price and Emmaus isn't any farther than A&B in Allentown. My safe keys are starting to not beep overtime and I've been considering upgrading to a S&G dial.

Thanks in advance.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RTF92.5 View Post
    Can you share their info. and did that include the replacement lock? Either way, great price and Emmaus isn't any farther than A&B in Allentown. My safe keys are starting to not beep overtime and I've been considering upgrading to a S&G dial.

Thanks in advance.
    Happy to share their information. They were excellent. A general contractor friend uses them for commercial lock changes, etc. I was concerned they might not have much safe experience but went with them based on the fact they said "No problem." when I talked gun safe.

Two guys came to the house. I'm guessing the one is an apprentice. They did decide to have a bit of fun with me when I remarked something like, "Wow, you switched that out fast." The journeyman said, "And, amazing this is our first safe."

I later learned they had plenty of safe experience including Cannon and including cutting them open with a torch upon occasion.

https://www.keithslockanddoor.com/

Keith's Lock & Door
    850 Broad St, Emmaus, PA 18049
    keythslock@gmail.com

Center Valley: 610-841-4060
    Whitehall: 610-262-2211
    Allentown: 610-791-4926
    Bethlehem: 610-691-6011
    Slatington: 610-760-1125

PS - a forum member also recommended this Allentown company which is another choice -

A&B Lock & Safe Co.
    1001 Union Blvd
    (866) 432-3645
    Last edited by BobFromBucks; February 9th, 2019 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add more information

(Lancaster County)

Save the old mechanism if you can, next time you stop by bring it, I want to see if the solder is cracked or if there's something else obviously wrong. So many interconnects between boards are crimp connectors and I've seen bad crimps, both where they're loose and where strands have shorted to the adjacent connection.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lehigh County)

Thank you for the info. and for A&B's info. Since my safe still opens, I am considering trying to do it myself... and then paying one of these guys to come fix it for me when I mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    Happy to share their information. They were excellent. A general contractor friend uses them for commercial lock changes, etc. I was concerned they might not have much safe experience but went with them based on the fact they said "No problem." when I talked gun safe.

Two guys came to the house. I'm guessing the one is an apprentice. They did decide to have a bit of fun with me when I remarked something like, "Wow, you switched that out fast." The journeyman said, "And, amazing this is our first safe."

I later learned they had plenty of safe experience including Cannon and including cutting them open with a torch upon occasion.

https://www.keithslockanddoor.com/

Keith's Lock & Door
    850 Broad St, Emmaus, PA 18049
    keythslock@gmail.com

Center Valley: 610-841-4060
    Whitehall: 610-262-2211
    Allentown: 610-791-4926
    Bethlehem: 610-691-6011
    Slatington: 610-760-1125

PS - a forum member also recommended this Allentown company which is another choice -

A&B Lock & Safe Co.
    1001 Union Blvd
    (866) 432-3645

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Save the old mechanism if you can, next time you stop by bring it, I want to see if the solder is cracked or if there's something else obviously wrong. So many interconnects between boards are crimp connectors and I've seen bad crimps, both where they're loose and where strands have shorted to the adjacent connection.
    Great minds and all that. I kind of thought you might like a look so i already boxed it up to mail your way. I'm also curious.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by RTF92.5 View Post
    Thank you for the info. and for A&B's info. Since my safe still opens, I am considering trying to do it myself... and then paying one of these guys to come fix it for me when I mess it up.
    if it is a Cannon, switching out the lock is extremely easy.. one only needs a Phillips screw driver.. I post a How To video earlier

Seeing how cheesy the new lock is I am thinking about going with the RotoBolt EMP safe so I have digital and manual should there be a fault on the electrical side
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567