Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Hornady Lock & Load Questions

Hello there reloaders, I recently bought a used Hornady lock and load setup and my first foray into reloading has been successful and fun. Unfortunately, I've had some issues from purchasing the unit used. The pistol powder measure cylinder was inoperable* and the Small Case Feeder tube was bent/broken. The powder measure cylinder was an easy find, and the replacement works great. The small case feeder tube...I can't seem to find. Any ideas?
    The second issue I'm having is spent primers...they just go everywhere. I have a bin under the tube that catches 90% of them, but a bunch still get away. I feel like I'm missing something... how are you catching your primers?

*Side note: accurately measuring 5g of powder in the large measure cylinder is difficult...no...impossible.

Thanks in advance.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Hornady Lock & Load Questions

Call Hornady and they will help. Tell them you acquired the press used and that you think you need X, Y, or Z. Unlike other consumer products, Hoirnady (and Dillon and mostly RCBS) welcome these calls and do help.

As for the primers . . . attach a plastic tube to the pipe the primers exit through. A local hardware store is best so you can get a length long enough to route it through the cap of a large (pretzel?) bottle while the press is moving up and down.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    Call Hornady and they will help. Tell them you acquired the press used and that you think you need X, Y, or Z. Unlike other consumer products, Hoirnady (and Dillon and mostly RCBS) welcome these calls and do help.

As for the primers . . . attach a plastic tube to the pipe the primers exit through. A local hardware store is best so you can get a length long enough to route it through the cap of a large (pretzel?) bottle while the press is moving up and down.
    Great remarks ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    - bamboomaster

Hornady has great customer service. Anything you need, they will send you for free. Mine actually came with a rubber tube for the spent primers. I have a Tidy cat bucket with a hole cut in the lid. I run the tube into the hole.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Berks County)

Just got off the phone with Hornady and the case feed tube is on the way. Small fee + S&H...super reasonable.

I'll see what I can get set up with the primers. Thanks for the ideas!

(Westmoreland County)

I have a cardboard box about 4"x4" and about 12" tall where my spent primer tube goes into. The spent primer tube raises and lowers with the press, so a 12" high box worked out well. The box catches all of the spend primers and then I just dump 'em into the garbage can.

I love my Hornady LNL progressive. I load for .223, 45acp, 44mag, and 357mag with it. Easy swap of the shell plates and frankly.....in the last ten years I've owned it I have never swapped out the rifle measure for the pistol measure.

FWIW

(Bucks County)

As for catching primers you can buy the classy "Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Deluxe Spent Primer Catcher 050099". Cost is around $9.00. I bought one for my pro chucker 7 - but I just use the clear plastic tubes that came with my 2 LNL AmmoPlants and run that into large Parmesan Cheese containers I got at BJ's. Tubing fits the holes perfectly. Both work equally well.

(Lancaster County)

I just put the trash can in my reloading room under the press and the rubber tube into the trash can.

(Beaver County)

Primers and bad brass go into a 5 gallon bucket. Scrap is scrap and at 1.30/lb, a reloading season's worth of primers and brass is a good few bucks.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Susquehanna County)

They make a different cylinder for measuring small amounts of powder. I have one and it works great.
    Stay armed my friends.