Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Caliber requirements in PA?

Haven't been able to find the caliber requirements for hunting on the PA Game Commission site.

What are the regulations in regard to 5.56 and 300 blackout?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Caliber requirements in PA?

Read up:

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/...g%20Digest.pdf

There are no big game center fire rifle restrictions. 5.56 or 300 black in a bolt gun (not a semi auto) is ok. However I know a lot of people don't agree with 5.56 for deer (I don't have any experience in that department).

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Read up:

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/...g%20Digest.pdf

There are no big game center fire rifle restrictions. 5.56 or 300 black in a bolt gun (not a semi auto) is ok. However I know a lot of people don't agree with 5.56 for deer (I don't have any experience in that department).
    I grew up with all the farmers around me using 223 for deer, cows, coyote and other varmint. Affordable and effective. I'm not sure why all the concern lately with 223 and 5.56 and people saying it's ineffective for deer just because it's coming out of an AR platform and not a wooden stocked bolt action.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I grew up with all the farmers around me using 223 for deer, cows, coyote and other varmint. Affordable and effective. I'm not sure why all the concern lately with 223 and 5.56 and people saying it's ineffective for deer just because it's coming out of an AR platform and not a wooden stocked bolt action.
    In states where there are actually open fields, a lot restrict anything under 24 caliber ostensibly because .223 starts to peter out and gets to be too slow for the bullet to really perform past 125ish yards in deer sized game.

But, almost all deer are shot within 100yds, so it should be a matter of knowing the capability of your rifle.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    In states where there are actually open fields, a lot restrict anything under 24 caliber ostensibly because .223 starts to peter out and gets to be too slow for the bullet to really perform past 125ish yards in deer sized game.

But, almost all deer are shot within 100yds, so it should be a matter of knowing the capability of your rifle.
    Someone should tell the Army and the Marines that 5.56 is only deadly up to 125ish yards. In PA, the average weight of an adult buck is 140lbs. IMHO, 5.56/223 is deadly (at least) out to 300 yards. I will admit that the round can also be deadly at greater ranges than 300 yards, but due to the lower bullet weight of the 5.66/223 the wind will have a greater effect on it's trajectory, and it can turn a good shot into a bad hit.
    Last edited by Hawk; January 31st, 2019 at 05:11 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Someone should tell the Army and the Marines that 5.56 is only deadly up to 125ish yards. In PA, the average weight of an adult buck is 140lbs. IMHO, 5.56/223 is deadly (at least) out to 300 yards. I will admit that the round can also be deadly at greater ranges than 300 yards, but due to the lower bullet weight (compared to larger calibers like 30.06) of the 5.66/223 the wind will have a greater effect on it's trajectory, and it can turn a good shot into a bad hit.
    Keeping a round above expansion velocity for an ethical kill is important for game; not so much shooting FMJ at the enemy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I always use a larger caliber for cow hunting.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    I always use a larger caliber for cow hunting.
    We preferred to use the .357 when needed for it, but many times a rifle was used since it was on hand.